Travelling along the Great Ocean Road, you can’t help but notice Australia’s famous Twelve Apostles creating a dramatic scene along Victoria’s coastline. Although not all of the original Apostles remain standing, this sight will pull you into a moment of tranquility and astonishment found nowhere else in the world.
History of the Twelve Apostles
Over 20 million years ago the Twelve Apostles were once attached to Victoria’s rugged limestone cliffs before the Southern Ocean began to erode them. As a result of erosion a variety of arches and rocks were separated from the cliffs, standing up to 50m in height. Boasting an array of names such as Bakers Oven Rock, The Grotto, Thunder Cave and Razorback, these apostles were originally named ‘Sow and Piglets’ but were renamed to The Apostles in 1922 for tourism purposes, and eventually became known as the Twelve Apostles.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Situated in the Port Campbell National Park and Twelve Apostles Marine National Park, the Apostles have slowly collapsed over time. The London Arch – formerly known as London Bridge – collapsed in 1990, turning into a bridge without a middle. Today there are only eight remaining apostles and mother nature continues to cause them to erode at up to 2cm per year.
What To See and Do
From sunrise to sunset, the Apostles stand beautifully against the cliffs showing off their many faces in the various lights of the day. Whether driving past along the Great Ocean Road, or stopping to admire these rock formations, visitors are left in awe over their size and beauty. At the Twelve Apostles Centre you can discover the cultural heritage these Apostles hold, and also begin your journey to discovering these natural stars along the coastline.
Along the Great Ocean Walk – from Apollo Bay to the Apostles – you can spend hours exploring the deserted beaches and coastal scenery as you weave your way through the Great Otway and Port Campbell National Parks. Standing at the height of the cliffs, you will come across a narrow opening to the Loch Ard Gorge. In rough weather the waves crashing against the rocks puts forward a spectacular natural show. While the geological formation caused by a sinkhole, known as The Grotto, provides a sense of eeriness in tranquility. Also be sure to take the Gibson Steps to the beach below where you will feel very small next to the Apostles, as well as discovering the Bay of Islands, The Arch and the Bay of Martyrs.
Not only is there plenty to explore within the parks, but you can explore the breathtaking coastline by catching a light plane or a helicopter to the skies. Alternatively you can snorkel and dive through the marine life found in the Twelve Apostles Marine National Park, or explore the towns that populate the coastline.
Where To Eat
12 Rocks Cafe & Beach Bar
With spectacular uninterrupted views of Port Campbell Bay, 12 Rocks Cafe & Beach Bar offers beachfront, al fresco dining in a laid-back atmosphere. Serving great brekky and diverse pub-grub meals, you can stop by for a quick meal or relax here before embarking on an adventure.
Rustic and homey Aireys Pub, located along the Great Ocean Road, offers classic bistro meals and local craft beers to delight all who stop by. Featuring a fireplace and stone walls, you will warm up from the cool sea breeze in no time.
The cozy little restaurant of La Bimba offers fine modern Australian dining against spectacular ocean views. Creating meals from locally sourced produce, this is the place to be if you want to taste kangaroo meat, local lamb or fresh fish over a bottle of wine.
Where To Stay
Butterfly Farm Bed & Breakfast
The charming Butterfly Farm B&B is located in a restored and renovated Edwardian homestead, offering a restful haven for you to unwind in from arrival to departure.
Relax in the beautiful private, luxury residences at Alkina Lodge, which offers an intimate experience for those wanting to escape the hustle and bustle. By the open fire is a great spot to enjoy a bottle of wine, or if the skies are clear, be sure to spend the evenings stargazing.
Nestled in the hillside of Scotts Creek, Bellevue Farmstay offers a unique experience. Animal lovers will enjoy the company of the resident pets and farm animals, while the warm atmosphere will have you feeling like you’re at home in no time.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.