You have spent the day visiting South Bank’s top attractions, the Queensland Museum, the GOMA and the Wheel of Brisbane, and you’ve even cooled off in the afternoon at the Streets Beach infinity pool. But where exactly can one seek after-dark libations in Brisbane’s South Bank precinct? We profile the coolest bars, pubs and secret hideouts scattered around on the left side of the river.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Soleil Pool Bar
Celebrate the sun in the newly refurbished Bacchus pool bar, now christened Soleil Pool Bar and glamorously clad in gold, white and timber. The emphasis is entirely on soaking up the summer at this rooftop pool bar. Customers can tan on the deck or lounge around the main bar while local DJs spin discs and the team of mixologists behind the bar serve up cocktails such as ‘She’s A Daydreamer’ (Belvedere pure vodka, lemon and vanilla syrup, raspberry purée and lemonade fizz over a scoop of vanilla ice cream). With the poolside party lasting from sunrise to sunset, the eventual food cravings can be taken care of by the in-house snacks provided by Bacchus, including pizzas, charcuterie and cheese boards.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Sangria Bar
Food and drink are given equal star billing at Sangria Bar, and both are served right up until midnight when those cravings start to hit. The namesake drink comes in traditional red and white forms, but you can also progress to blueberry and passion fruit red sangria and the refreshing grapefruit and lychee white sangria. Beer lovers are catered for with Estrella Damm on tap along with nine other Spanish beers. The delectable food menu ranges from the light bites (bocaditos), which features patatas bravas and the recommended Alitas de Pollo (spicy chicken wings and pimiento rojo aioli), to more substantial share plates (raciones) which include gambas con chorizo and Vieras Con Calamres Y Chorizo (pan-fried scallop, squid, chorizo and lemon). Once you’ve stuffed your face and your mouth is on fire, stoke the flames by taking to the dancefloor when the venue transitions into a small Latin dance venue on Thursday, Friday and Saturday nights.
Hop And Pickle
Hop and Pickle call their style ‘Hop Culture’, signalling their brazen mission to remind Brisbane’s South Bank what the heart and soul of a truly great pub should be. Certainly, they’ve attempted this quest with aplomb in their Little Stanley Street nook that retains the feel of your local. Craft beer is served on tap, and on Saturdays Hop and Pickle pay homage to the ‘Pub Classics’. Expect plenty of parmas, bangers and mash and greasy sliders. Sundays are roast lunch days, and the regular bar nibbles menu is quite daring, try the braised octopus with romesco sauce or the Asian glazed pork belly with cucumber relish.
Hoo Ha Bar
Hoo Ha Bar doesn’t need to be told it’s cool, it just is by sheer virtue of its unpretentiousness and refusal to conform to mass appeal. Situated off the main tourist throng on Tribune Street, Hoo Ha is an authentic local hangout, but friendly and relaxed enough to cater for newcomers. Four craft brews are constantly rotating on tap, such as the current Brewcult ‘Buggin Out’ Black IPA and Croft Biscuit Brown. Playfulness is also abundant in Hoo Ha’s cocktail menu which is onomatopoeia-themed. You’ll be exclaiming ZING! at the concoction of Hayman’s gin, lychee, fresh coriander, lime juice and sparkling wine.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.