Chinese food and dining has slowly but surely made its way south to the tables of Australia, and has now established itself as one of the favorite Canberra cuisines. Check out the best places to grab Chinese food in the Australian capital.
Set up in the Burbury Hotel in Barton is the newly opened Malamay. ‘Supported by the Michelin starred Chairman restaurant in Hong Kong‘, Malamay serves up the very best of south-west Chinese cuisine. They offer both lunch and dinner set menus, as well as vegetarian banquets, with stand out dishes like their delectable chilli prawns, and “spicy and numbing sesame chicken”. For something really different why not try the Earl Grey custard with peanut popping candy for dessert! The interior is decked out in traditional Chinese black and red colours, which adds to the restaurants sumptuous, intimate atmosphere. As well as a private dining rooms there is a large, shaded outdoor area perfect for summer dining.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In the heart of Canberra’s Chinatown is Ruby Chinese, which has been an icon here since 1982. This Cantonese restaurant specializes in fresh seafood chosen live from the tank. The sweet and sticky flaming pork is also favorite here, and they offer many signature dishes. If you’re a little more adventurous, try one of their fish dishes, such as Parrot Fish or Freshwater Eel. Accompany your meal with China’s favorite beer, Tsingtao, for a real taste of the Orient.
Abell’s Kopi Tiam
The restaurant’s name – kopi meaning coffee in Malaysian, and tiam which is Chinese for shop – infuses the two languages, just as the food here combines the flavors of the two countries. Located in one of Canberra’s southern suburbs, Abell’s Kopi Tiam is small but lively and always busy. They also have a sheltered, outdoor dining area with heaters and blankets at every table should you want to stay late. Their blackboard of specials changes regularly to keep things fresh. However, there are always some favorites on the menu like twice-cooked crispy duck on a bed of sweet potato mash, or the rich and tender beef rendang. Finish with one of their gorgeous desserts, like the simple but delicious coconut and pandan pancakes. They also have a fantastic choice of vegetarian dishes too, so everyone in the party will be happy.
The Chairman & Yip
Since it opened nearly 25 years ago, The Chairman & Yip has been a celebrated Canberra institution, and it has never failed to impress. The service here is outstanding, and Albert the maitre d and his staff will go out of their way to make sure you enjoy your meal. Their Cantonese-style cuisine is packed with flavors of Asia and the West. Seafood is the speciality here, and their house specials include delicious dishes such as sesame crusted salmon, and a beef and scallops hot pot. The choice here is fantastic: they even offer special early bird menus as well as their lunch and dinner banquets for two. Or if you’re feeling a little more adventurous, opt for their tasting menu which is packed with exciting flavor combinations.
The legendary Mr Happy started up Canberra’s first ever Chinese restaurant in the early 60s, and it is still run by the same family to this day. His grandson Gavin is now in charge, and brings a fresh young take to this old-time favorite. Hidden away in Garema Place, Happy’s Chinese exudes its trademark warm and welcoming atmosphere. Hanging on the wall is the stunning poster of the Great Wall of China, painted by the head chef, which transports you to the Orient. It’s not just the decor that does this: the food is served piping hot and bursting with the flavors of China. Recommended are the Wasabi beef noodles, the steamed duck with Chinese mushrooms or the shredded pork with capsicum and zha chai. Happy’s Chinese is the best place for a quick, cheap but fantastic meal that is always served with a smile.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.