The old industrial hub of Alexandria has traded trucks and factories for flat whites and smashed avo, and these are the top spots to grab brunch in the neighbourhood.
The converted warehouses of Alexandria hint at the history of this now-fashionable inner-city neighbourhood, but the fragrance of coffee luring hipsters from nearby Redfern and Surry Hills reveals exactly where the suburb’s priorities lie in the year 2018. Dive into Alexandria’s thriving cafe scene with a bite to eat at one of these great brunch spots.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Grounds of Alexandria
You can’t begin an article about the best brunch spots in Alexandria anywhere other than this mega-cafe, whose queues for weekend brunch have become the stuff of legend in Sydney. The Grounds occupies a heritage-listed industrial precinct that offers a glimpse into Alexandria’s working class past, and is made up of a huge cafe, restaurant, bar, garden, bakery, patisserie, coffee roastery, markets, florist and even an animal farm that all reflect the suburb’s bohemian character these days.
Mecca Coffee Alexandria
Mecca is one of Sydney’s leading coffee roasters, and the cafe attached to its roasting headquarters in Alexandria plates up a mouth-watering brunch to go with its batch brews and pour-overs. Grab a spot at one of the long timber tables and tuck into a plate of bacon and eggs or bircher muesli, while budding coffee experts can see the roastery in action at regular cuppings every Saturday morning.
Meet Gerard’s website lays claim to the best coffee, breakfast and lunch in Alexandria — and when you’re feasting on the humbly-named ‘Best Roast Chicken Sandwich Ever’, it’s hard to disagree. Sitting on the corner of busy Henderson Rd and the impossibly charming Gerard St, Meet Gerard prides itself on innovative use of local ingredients and showcasing delicious specialty coffee from local roasters Coffee Alchemy.
The Copper Mill
A short stroll from Sydney Park, the Copper Mill is a quintessential Alexandria establishment, breathing new life into an old printing press with a thoroughly contemporary raw timber and polished concrete fit out. The food menu is similarly rustic-chic — a series of breakfast sandwiches are the star of the show, including a Peruvian roll packed with pork belly and salsa criolla.
When you’re walking down the street, you wouldn’t normally look twice at an electricity substation — but this isn’t your average electricity substation. Inhabiting substation No.152 in the heart of Alexandria, this beautiful brunch spot has transformed a grey old industrial site into a garden oasis brimming with plants and picnic tables — the leafy internal courtyard is a cool spot to peruse the inventive brunch menu with a Single O house blend in hand.
COOH began as a small local cafe in North Curl Curl on the Northern Beaches before making its move to the big city, opening a huge venue on Bourke Rd just across the street from the Grounds. The passion for wholesome, flavoursome, awesome food is palpable — fish is cured and ‘raw’ desserts are baked on site, and the ingredient list goes out of its way to support small independent farmers and wholesalers. Open breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Coco Republic is one of Australia’s premier furniture and design brands, so the cafe within their flagship Alexandria showroom is every bit as elegant as you’d expect. The goal of this glitzy espresso bar is to transport diners to the Italian Riviera, and L’Americano’s opulent marble tables and leather chairs are certainly more lavish than the exposed brick and timber benches that characterise the rest of the neighbourhood’s eateries.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.