Sydney’s inner city sits on the southern side of the iconic harbour… but visitors who venture north of the Sydney Harbour Bridge will be rewarded with a long list of sparkling attractions that aren’t so crowded with tourists. Read on for the top 10 things to see and do in northern Sydney.
Catch the ferry to Manly
Another ferry trip you’ve got to take is the spectacular route to Manly, half an hour’s journey past the heads of Sydney Harbour to an area that’s booming with bars, cafes and eateries around a string of glittering beaches — Queenscliff, Freshwater, Shelly, Collins Flat and of course Manly itself. If you’d prefer to stay on dry land, stroll along the leafy 10km trail from Spit Bridge to Manly, which links secret swimming spots like Fisher Bay and Sandy Beach.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This is a secret that’s hiding in plain site, overlooking Sydney Harbour right next to the Bridge. Wendy’s Secret Garden — named after Wendy Whitely, who developed the site as a tribute to her legendary artist husband Brett in the 1990s — is a maze of twisting pathways, picturesque picnic spots and lush plant life that provides a whimsical green oasis on the city’s doorstep.
Wendy’s Secret Garden, Lavender Bay NSW, +61 2 9936 8100
The Northern Beaches is home to some of Sydney’s premier craft breweries — Modus Operandi’s spacious warehouse in Mona Vale, Nomad’s boutique tasting room in Brookvale, Manly institution 4 Pines’ trendy Brewpub as well as their second instalment, Brookvale Brewery Truckbar. And don’t miss Sydney’s most beautiful watering hole, the Newport Arms, which dishes up delicious pub grub to accompany your ice cold schooner in a glamorous beer garden overlooking a serene bay.
The Newport Arms Hotel, 2 Kalinya St, Newport NSW, +61 2 9997 4900
Jutting out into the harbour east of the Bridge, Cremorne Point’s historic mansions, rolling green lawns, winding walking trails and gorgeous seawater pool make it one of the most Instagrammable places in Sydney. Bring a blanket and find a shady spot on the grass to sit back and relax watching boats zip around the water, locals walking their dogs and swimmers doing laps of the turquoise Maccallum pool.
Get a taste of old school Hollywood cool at this heritage art deco picture palace in Cremorne on the Lower North Shore, which dates back to 1935. The Orpheum has six state-of-the-art theatres that retain that ‘golden age’ vibe — the main auditorium even contains a multi-million dollar Wurlitzer Hope-Jones orchestral pipe organ — and shows the latest releases as well as cinema classics and themed nights.
380 Military Rd, Cremorne NSW, +61 2 9908 4344
You can’t miss Luna Park, with its iconic face smiling over the harbour to greet visitors with a grin. The amusement park is free to enter (although the attractions do cost money) and its boardwalk clings to the harbour front, offering million-dollar views back over the city. And pop next door to the North Sydney Olympic Pool if you feel like knocking out a few laps in the shadow of the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
1 Olympic Dr, Milsons Point NSW, +61 2 9922 6644
Stroll around the Harbour
Don’t let Luna Park be the end of your exploration of the Lower North Shore. Lace up your walking shoes and tackle the kilometres of walking trails that line the waterfront on the north side of the harbour, including Blues Point, Sawmillers Reserve, Balls Head and Berry Island west of the Bridge, and Kurraba Point, Cremorne Point, Bradleys Head and Middle Head on the eastern side.
Palm Beach — about an hour’s drive north of Sydney’s city centre — is best known as the set of soap opera Home and Away, but humpbacks steal the spotlight during whale watching season (May to November). Make the uphill climb to the historic Barrenjoey Lighthouse for panoramic views of the ‘Humpback Highway’ during the annual whale migration, as well as stunning vistas over the Ku-ring-gai Chase National Park.
Palm Beach NSW, +61 2 9472 9300
Introducing Sydney’s most underrated beach, a serene strip of sand in the salubrious suburb of Mosman fringed by leafy parks and a breezy esplanade. If you want an even quieter dip, head to the nearby (and dubiously named) Chinamans Beach, or if you feel like getting a little cheeky, get your kit off at nudist beaches Cobblers and Obelisk either side of Middle Head.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.