Whether it’s a cosy speakeasy in a hidden alleyway, a classic cocktail joint or traditional pub, it’s all found in Surry Hills. And when it comes to scouting out the best in the area, it’s hard to pass up the advice of the bartenders in the know.
Surry Hills possesses a pretty unique vibe, but the close-knit community is the secret to its charm. “Having so many venues close to each other makes for a great bar crawl for guests, but also for us,” says Alex Dowd, one half of the team behind hallowed tequila bar, Tio’s Cerveceria on Foster Street. “It’s good in a jam, but also just to cry on each other’s shoulders, celebrate busy services and to have an off-site staff room for a cheeky beer.”
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Dowd and business partner Jeremy Blackmore first entered the scene as bartenders, serving up drinks at Shady Pines Saloon off Crown Street before jumping at the chance to do it themselves, opening Tio’s in 2011.
“For us, what we love most about Tio’s is seeing people that have worked with us over the years popping up in other great bars around the country and transplanting that little bit of Tio’s magic everywhere,” says Dowd. “Our bars thrive on service, it’s why people come in, and it’s great to see the people who have helped shape our dream into a reality taking that passion and investing it elsewhere.”
Having been a part of the Surry Hills bar scene for almost a decade, Dowd has learnt a thing or two about where to go for a drink and a memorable night. Here are his top bar picks.
According to Dowd, the real joy of Poly is working out exactly what it is. “Is it a bar? A restaurant? Whatever it is, it’s bloody delicious.” Housed within the Art Deco Paramount House Hotel on Commonwealth Street, Poly is a great place for a couple of quick cocktails or a longer night out – there’s a 12-page wine list, after all. The team behind Poly is the same as that behind acclaimed restaurant Ester, located in nearby Chippendale, so, naturally, the food is given as much thought as the wine. Its dynamic food menu includes diamond shell clams with dashi butter, and sweet and sour lamb ribs.
Don’t let the name fool you – The Wild Rover isn’t your average Irish bar full of Guinness-guzzling expats fresh from the Emerald Isle. This cosy exposed-brick space pours both classic and imaginative cocktails – don’t miss the Guinness Punch, a creamy concoction described as “a very moreish Jamaican milkshake” – as well as an enviable whisky collection, plus a rotating roster of craft beers. Food is limited, but the house-made lamb sausage rolls are to die for.
Like Poly, Butter is that over-achiever of a venue that does both food and drinks exceptionally well. And if that isn’t enough, it also happens to be a sneaker shop, proving so popular it branched out from its original home on Hunt Street to set up shop in Sydney’s western hub of Parramatta. “Butter has excellent fried chicken, but the donuts are worth the trip alone,” says Dowd. Want the best of both worlds? Ask the waiters for a fried chicken and donut: two tenders served on a cinnamon donut and drizzled with maple syrup – the perfect thing to soak up a dangerously delicious Staten Island Iced Tea.
If there’s one venue that’s been there through the rise and rise of Surry Hills, it’s the Royal Albert, which has stood on the corner of Commonwealth and Reservoir streets since 1927. With a mahogany bar and plenty of local brews on tap, “The Royal Albert is the best craft-beer pub in Sydney,” says Dowd. Daily happy hour specials and a food menu comprising ‘pub grub’ featuring pan-Asian dishes, The Royal Albert is a great place for a quintessentially Aussie pub experience.
“Cliff Dive is one of Sydney’s best, and last remaining, true nightclubs,” says Dowd. He should know – stricter liquor licensing laws came into play in Sydney back in 2014 and saw the closure of several late-night haunts. Dowd and Blackmore opened The Cliff Dive on the Surry Hills border of Oxford Square in 2013, revamping an old basement space into a tiki hall complete with kitsch Pacific decor, AUS$10 (£5.20) cocktails and a great mix of tunes that keep the bar heaving with revellers on Friday and Saturday nights.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.