Townsville is a great Australian destination for a weekend getaway. It has year-round summer temperatures, and is located on the Great Barrier Reef’s doorstep. To help you decide what to do with only two days in Townsville, here’s our 48-hour guide to the tropical paradise.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Start your day in Townsville at Betty Blue and the Lemon Tart. The family-owned cafe has been operating in Townsville’s CBD for decades. It’s known for its pastry cabinet, stocked daily with the most delicious handmade cakes. Betty Blue’s other speciality is its doorstop toast, so named as the toast is so thick it could stop a door. Its breakfast menu has plenty of unique contemporary dishes to choose from, including Caesar eggs, coconut pancakes, baklava French toast, and eggs Benedict.
After fueling up at Betty Blue, there are several things to do in Townsville’s city centre. The Museum of Tropical Queensland is a short walk away. An award-winning natural history, archaeology, and history museum, it’s also home to a replica of the HMS Pandora, which sunk off the Great Barrier Reef in 1791. Some of the items recovered from the wreck are displayed in the Pandora Gallery. The Museum of Tropical Queensland also has exhibitions on the Torres Strait islands, the Wet Tropics of Queensland, and the Great Barrier Reef.
Next door to the Museum of Tropical Queensland is another top Townsville attraction. Reef HQ Aquarium is home to the world’s largest living coral reef aquarium. It was created to make the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park more accessible to the public. Along with the Coral Reef Exhibit, there’s also the Predator Exhibit, Discovery Lagoon, and North Queensland’s only Turtle Hospital. Approximately 100,000 people visit Reef HQ annually.
If visiting on a Sunday, check out the Cotters Markets in Flinders Mall as well. With live music, local produce, and handmade souvenir stalls, the markets are open every weekend.
For lunch, walk down to The Strand. Located on the headland, Longboard Bar & Grill is a great lunchtime option every day of the week. The beach and surf-themed bar and restaurant has impressive views of the water and across to Magnetic Island. Its menu has American, Mexican, and Australian influences. Dishes include tacos, signature buffalo wings, salads, pizzas, and Longboard’s crispy buffalo wrap and Louisiana-style pork belly sandwich. Lunch reservations are highly recommended as well.
Spend your afternoon in Townsville relaxing on the Strand. Walk along the 2.2-kilometre (1.37-mile) beachfront path, or swim in Australia’s cleanest beach or at the saltwater Rockpool. For families, check out the free Strand water park. There are many interactive water features at the park to keep kids entertained for hours.
Another afternoon option in Townsville is to climb or drive up Castle Hill, Townsville’s most distinguishable feature. More than 2,500 Townsville residents walk up one of the hill’s many trails daily. Otherwise, drive to the top for the best panoramic views of Townsville and the ocean. There are lookouts at the top of Castle Hill too, and stunning sunset vistas.
Palmer Street is lined with some of the city’s best dining options. JAM Restaurant serves award-winning modern North Queensland cuisine. Some of the dishes on the menu include Townsville prawns, Queensland bugs, and North Queensland barramundi. JAM also has a vegetarian menu, and prepares a six-course evening degustation menu, which can be paired with matching wines. An alternative is Cactus Jack’s, a Tex-Mex bar and grill that’s been serving Townsville residents for over 23 years. It serves jalapeno poppers, tostaditas, quesadillas, fajitas, enchiladas, and chimichanga.
Palmer Street, South Townsville, QLD, Australia
Start your second morning in Townsville at The Balcony Restaurant. It has been trading in its heritage building in the CBD for over 30 years. It has vegan, takeaway, and high tea menus as well. The breakfast menu includes cinnamon poached pear, an actual bacon chop, and asparagus gruyere. The Balcony Restaurant also serves lunch dishes such as Cajun salmon salad, chicken liver and bacon pate, and lamb curry rolls.
Then it’s time to head off on a day trip from Townsville and explore the Great Barrier Reef. There are various ways to explore the Great Barrier Reef. Firstly, Adrenalin Dive does tours to the reef several times a week. They also take divers to the SS Yongala Wreck, which is one of the world’s best wreck dive sites. Sealink Queensland does day trips to Orpheus Island in the Great Barrier Reef, too.
Alternatively, catch a 20-minute ferry to Magnetic Island, which is also located within the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park. On the island you can go for a bush walk, as there is more than 20 kilometres (12 miles) of walking trails. More than half of the island is protected as Magnetic Island National Park as well. Other activities include spotting koalas on the Forts Walk, feeding the rock wallabies at Geoffrey Bay, or relaxing at one of the island’s 23 beautiful bays. Delicious lunch options on the island include The Early Bird at Horseshoe Bay, and R&R Restaurant at Picnic Bay.
After a long day, relax at The Ville Resort-Casino, which has something for everyone. Try your luck in the casino, or dine at one of its many restaurants, cafes, and bars. Quarterdeck Restaurant has weekly specials, including Mexican Mondays, Wing Wednesdays, and Ladies Night on Thursdays. The dinner menu includes share plates, pizzas, salads, and steaks. Miss Song’s is another option, which focuses on Asian cuisine. Otherwise, relax inside at the Sports Bar.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.