Brisbane may not be Australia’s most well known city, but it sure packs a punch when it comes to places to see and things to eat. It’s always best to go where the locals go, so here are the best things to do when you have 48 hours in Queensland’s sunny capital.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Head straight to the French concept store, Vieille Branche, for a European-inspired morning. Grab a table and enjoy breakfast at their Farmhouse Café, where the hardest part is deciding what to eat! After this, get lost in the homewares and vintage finds on offer before tasting some cheeses at the fromagerie next door, Emile & Solange.
Next, head to the Powerhouse Farmers Markets located next to New Farm Park. These markets are full of fresh fruit and vegetables, gourmet food vans and artisan stalls. Once you’ve sampled the produce on offer, head to the park for a little respite.
From New Farm Park it’s easy to hop onto the City Cat and take a ride along the Brisbane River before getting off at Brisbane’s cultural hub, Southbank.
When in Brisbane, a must-visit is the spectacular Queensland Gallery of Modern Art. This gallery holds a collection of more than 17,000 works of art. Get lost in the current exhibitions on offer and admire the stunning gallery design. It’s an art lover’s heaven.
Once you’ve had your culture fix, stroll along Southbank’s esplanade and take in the sunset while looking over the river to Brisbane’s ever growing downtown area.
If you’re looking for something a little more tropical, head to Jungle Tiki Bar where cocktails are often served in pineapples. It’s an oasis in the hustle and bustle of West End.
La Trobe Terrace in Paddington will be buzzing on a Sunday morning, filled with trendy cafes and shops to explore. Start with breakfast at Naim or Kettle and Tin, then follow La Trobe Terrace, stopping in at a number of boutiques and antique stores on the way.
If all that shopping has you thinking about the next meal, then a burger and beer should do the trick. However, Fritzenburger isn’t your standard burger joint. They offer gourmet burgers, loaded fries and a selection of their own craft beers.
There is still plenty of this friendly city to see and an easy way to squeeze it in is on one of the Brisbane Greeters guided tours. Run by locals who know the city best, they will share their knowledge and favourite spots with you.
After all that exploring on land, it’s time to go higher. Eleven is a rooftop bar to rival all others in Brisbane. The panoramic views will really take your breath away.
The final meal in Brisbane should be a special one, so it’s time for Longtime. This trendy modern Thai restaurant down an alleyway in Brisbane’s Chinatown is worth queuing up for. Not only is it one of the city’s most popular, the food is delicious. On trend baos, fragrant curries, fresh salads and stellar cocktails will ensure your return when you’re next in town.
Next stop is the Triffid. This popular music venue is set in an old commercial hanger, flanked by an outdoor pop-up beer garden. The industrial setting in the middle of bustling Newstead, makes it even more of an experience when listening to some of the best music Brisbane has to offer.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.