With cityscapes and outback aplenty, Australia boasts a most-varied landscape. Home to some of the most extreme climates and exotic creatures on the planet, the continent draws people from far and wide looking for that almighty thrill. Here’s why Australia is the perfect destination for adrenaline junkies.
Sand Dune Excursion
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
For those looking for a side of culture with their adrenaline rush, look no further than Sand Dune Adventures, a 90-minute indigenous culture, sand board and quad bike tour. Set on the largest coastal sand dunes in the southern hemisphere, the tour is built around an introduction to local Aboriginal culture. Prices start from $135.
Sand Dune Adventures. 2163 Nelson Bay Road. Williamtown. Australia. +61 (02) 4033 8808
Abseiling the Gordon Dam
Standing at 140 metres high, this colossal abseiling course is certainly not for the faint-hearted. Located approximately two and a half hours from Hobart, Tasmania, this adventure sees adrenaline junkies glide down the abyss of Gordon Dam. The dam, which is a major attraction for those who love to challenge gravity is higher than the Sydney Harbour Bridge and holds back thirty times more water than is held in the Harbour itself, according to the Aardvark Adventures’ website. $210 per person.
Aardvark Adventures. South West Tasmania. Australia. +61 (03) 6273 7722
4 Wheel Drive Adventure Track
Off the beaten track is a term bashed around often, but never has it been more fitting. These Monster 4 x 4 driving experiences take place at Avalon Raceway in Lara, just outside of Melbourne, and can include thrilling courses, pro-driver passenger experiences, training and off road thrills. Prices from $199.
Ragged Edge. 210 Old Melbourne Road. Lara. Australia. +61 0428 737 864
In the Air
Climb The Sydney Harbour Bridge
Climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge by dawn, day or dusk for the ultimate Sydney experience. Take in panoramic views of the harbour, neighbouring islands, Opera House and Sydney’s Central Business District as you climb the iconic structure which stretches to over 134 meters above sea level. This major attraction has facilitated over three million visitors’ climb to date.
Sydney Harbour Bridge. Sydney. Australia. +61 (02) 8274 7777
Jetpack in Sydney
Jetpack your way through the sky with this adventure experience in Sydney. Once thought of as an alien activity of the future, jetpacking is now available to just about everyone, and with little training required. Adrenaline junkies rejoice: this new trend is quite literally about to take off!
Paraglide the Aussie Alps
Take to the sky to see the Australian alps with adventure company Alpine Gliding. As Australia’s longest running paragliding school, adventurers can feel secure in the hands of some of Australia’s finest flyers; always good to know when soaring high above the tree tops. Located just outside of Melbourne, this is the ultimate experience for those who like to see the world from above.
Alpine Paragliding. Bright. Victoria. Australia 0428 352 048
Jet Fighter Experience
This experience certainly takes adrenaline junkies to new heights. Soar the skies in a genuine ex-fighter jet as you experience twists and turns at the speed of light. Adventurers will be happy to know Jet Fighter was founded in 1996 has a 100% incident free record. Prices start from $360.
Skydiving in The Whitsundays
The Whitsundays may be just about one of the coolest places to skydive in the world with its tropical scenery of crystal clear waters, island beaches, the Great Barrier Reef and lush rainforests as far as the eye can see. Not to mention that you touch down on a beautiful white sand beach after a drop of up to 15,000 feet.
Hot Air Balloon Over Hunter Valley
Soar high over Hunter Valley in a hot air balloon at sunrise and take in spectacular views from new heights. This experience with Beyond Ballooning even comes with breakfast, making the excursion all the more full. Although peaceful in some ways, this day trip certainly boasts a fine dose of adrenaline. $249 per person with breakfast included.
Beyond Ballooning. 430 Wine Country Drive. Lovedale. Australia. +61 1300 468 247
Cage of Death
Welcome to the Cage of Death, Darwin’s ultimate crocodile diving experience that is sure to make just about any adrenaline junkies’ heart jump. This up-close-and-personal experience includes a 15-minute underwater dive with the pre-historic reptiles. Up to two people can cage dive at once; prices range from $170-260. Divers must be 15-years or older.
Crocosaurus Cove. 58 Mitchell Street. Darwin City. Darwin. Australia +61 (08) 8981 7522
Dive The S.S. Yongala
Take deep sea diving on the Great Barrier Reef to a whole new level. Bound to impress just about any adrenaline junkie, this excursion guides guests down into the deep blue, flush with impressive coral displays and shoals of fish, before venturing into the S.S. Yongala, Australia’s largest and most intact wreck.
Yongala Dive. 56 Narrah Street. Alva. Queensland. Australia +61 (07) 4783 1519
Great White Experience
Dive with one of the most feared species on the planet, the great white shark, in Port Lincoln, South Australia. This eco certified company boasts an environmentally conscious and sustainable business model and also uses natural fish barley to attract the sharks to the boat. This extreme sport for adrenaline junkies will cost $495 for an adult (16 years and above) and $395 for a child.
Franklin River Rafting
Experience the rush of the wild Franklin River on these adrenaline-filled eight or ten day rafting adventures. Not for the faint of heart, these challenging tours are jam-packed with breath-taking scenery, luscious landscapes, and some of the most intense waterways in Australia. Prices range from $2,860-$3,190.
Franklin River Rafting. 70 Dillons Hill Rd Glaziers Bay, Tasmania +61 0422 642 190
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.