The Whitsunday Islands are a beautiful oasis in the heart of the Great Barrier Reef. Made up of 74 islands, the Whitsundays are all National Park islands, which means they are uninhabited (aside from a few for lucky holiday makers). Whether you like your holidays to be food centric, family friendly or pure luxury, the Whitsunday Islands have it all. Start by choosing your home base for your time in the Whitsundays – some great resort islands are Daydream, Hamilton, Hayman and Long Island – figure out how to get there, what you must see and get packing!
How to get there
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The flights to the Whitsundays are a manageable 1.5 hours from Brisbane and 2-3 hours from Sydney and Melbourne – a short distance to paradise! The Great Barrier Reef Airport, Hamilton Island (HTI) is serviced by daily flights from Cairns, Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne with Virgin, Jetstar and Qantas. Whitsunday Coast Airport, Prosepine (PPP) is the airport you want if you’re looking for budget-friendly flights. This airport is serviced by less frequent flights from Brisbane and Sydney with Virgin, Jetstar and Tiger Airways.
You’ll want to jump on the Bruce Highway in Queensland to get you right the way through Prosepine and Bowen with Airlie Beach just a short distance from the highway. If you’re driving from Brisbane, you’re looking at about a 12 hour journey.
What to see and do
There is so much to do in this aqua paradise. This stunning region is home to a number of national parks and reserves, some of which you can even camp at for a more authentic experience. Some of the best parks to visit are Whitsunday Islands National Park, Lineman Island National Park, Molle Islands National Park and on the mainland head to Conway National Park.
For a more cultural experience, take a (bit of a steep) hike to the Ngaro Cultural Site at Nara Inlet on Hook Island. This is a sacred site which means a permit is required before you can have access. You also can’t visit the Whitsundays without spending time on the beautiful Whitehaven Beach. It’s famous for a reason: seven kilometres of white sands and crystal waters. If beautiful scenery is your thing, take a flight over the incredible Heart Reef. It’s small and sweet (only 17m in diameter) but is guaranteed to be a highlight of your time in the Whitsundays.
Particularly if you’re not from Australia, be very mindful that the sun up north is harsh. It’s important that you lather up with sunscreen every four hours and always try and protect your skin where possible. Don’t just bring sandals and swimmers – although they are important items for your Whitsundays holiday! Remember to pack your sneakers for those tropical rainforest hikes and don’t forget your water for hydration. You will sweat up a storm in this warm part of the world. If you want to learn to scuba dive, don’t forget to bring a medical certificate. And on that note, if you’re already a diver – bring your dive certificate!
Stingers can be an issue when holidaying in the Whitsundays. Typically you’re at a higher risk if you’re swimming from October – May. In the case of being stung, you want to immediately put vinegar on the site of the sting and seek medical attention urgently – call 000 for an ambulance. Read up on what to look for in regards to stinger season in the Whitsundays. If you’re visiting during peak stinger season it’s easy enough to hire stinger suits so you don’t miss out on the fun.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.