Heralding the next generation of fashion design, these movers and shakers are setting new standards and reigning supreme in Sydney. Breaking and remaking the common structure of the fashion industry, check out Culture Trip’s top 7 Sydney fashion designers to watch out for.
Kacey Devlin is the Australian designer at the helm of her eponymous label, KACEY / DEVLIN. Ethereal and elegant this modern take on timeless classics such as shift dresses and suit pants explores the relationship between strength and fragility. Devlin is an indisputable rising star with a series of awards already under her belt: The National Designer of the Year 2017, BT Emerging Designer of the Year 2017 and Finalist for the ‘Best New Talent’ 2017 Prix De Marie Claire, to name a few.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Established in 2013, Elissa McGowan, founder of her namesake brand has come onto the scene offering the vision of contemporary coolness for the modern day woman. This ethically manufactured label is sleek and effortlessly stylish with playful detail, delicate fabrics and bold cuts. The local designer has only been on the scene a few years but heralds the next generation of Sydney designers to come; watch this space.
‘Perfectly imperfect’, that is how Isabelle Quinn describes her brand. Drawing from her own style and personality, the collections which welcome natural colour palettes, classic silhouettes with modern flare and rich fabrics, are on the tip of the tongue of every fashionista in town. Shop her Instagram feed via the brand’s website for endless styling ideas and daily inspiration.
Gibson Fox and Renee Warne are the two ladies behind up-and-coming Sydney-based fashion brand DAISY. Turning heads and getting people talking is all they’ve done since their launch; they’ve even reached Hollywood with the likes of Kim Kardashian and Bella Hadid donning their statement designs. With the collections falling somewhere between edgy fantasy and twee-themed realities the brand is bold and brilliant. Oozing sexuality and female empowerment, wear one of these designs and boast on-trend brilliance.
December 2016 marked the crowning of Hannah Tan, Sydney-based Menswear designer, as a joint-winner (alongside Melbourne-based womenswear designer Deanna Fanning) of Australia’s most promising young fashion talent at the Australian Fashion Foundation awards. Her winning collection which drew inspiration from Japanese silhouettes was beyond impressive. We expect big things from this Sydney designer.
Tahlia & Aisha Bowie
Founded by sisters Tahlia & Aisha Bowie, Bowie Empire is Torres Strait Islander lifestyle inspired street wear label. The brand which draws inspiration from music and different cultures is edgy and on-trend. With a mixed background in business and fashion, the sister duo are really doing it for themselves. This little brand is already bound for big things, with international plans of expansion on the horizon; keep your eyes peeled for these Sydney designers.
Maurice Terzini & Lucy Hinckfuss
Cool and curated, Ten Pieces is the brainchild of Maurice Terzini (part-time fashion designer, part-time restaurateur and owner of Icebergs, Bondi) and Lucy Hinckfuss, is a limited line only showcasing ten pieces per collection. The unique label is unisex and encourages individuals to explore the endless styling options possible with a limited selection of items. Launched in 2011, Ten Pieces is most certainly an up-and-comer on the international fashion scene.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.