Australia is an expansive country with a multitude of experiences, some more extraordinary than you could ever imagine. If you’re looking for unforgettable adventures, then add these 10 epic experiences to your bucket list.
Swim with Whale Sharks
Snorkel alongside the world’s largest fish – the whale shark – at the World Heritage-Listed Ningaloo Coast, in Western Australia. Growing to a mammoth 12 meters in length, these tranquil filter feeding sharks are completely harmless and Ningaloo Reef is the only place in Australia where you can see them. Whale Sharks are spotted between March and August and depending on the month, you may even see humpback whales, dugongs, and manta rays.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Sleep in the golden shadow of Uluru, a 600 million year old sandstone rock formation, sacred to Indigenous Australians. Jutting out of the red earth in the Northern Territory, Uluru is 348 meters high, making is taller than The Eiffel Tower. Between July and November, you can stay at Longitude 131°, a luxurious five-star glamping experience with views of Uluru. Ripe with Anangu culture, the trip will leave you spellbound and with a deep admiration for Australia’s natural landscape.
Come face to face with Australia’s ferocious Saltwater Crocodiles at Crocosaurus Cove inside the Cage of Death. Located in Darwin, the park is home to the world’s largest collection of Australian reptiles and is the only place in the country offering not one but two underwater experiences with crocodiles. Once you’ve climbed into the cage, which hangs suspended above the enclosure, it will be lowered into the water. Once submerged, you’ll meet the enormous prehistoric residents known as Chopper, William and Kate, and spend 15 thrilling minutes with them.
Hike Mount Kosciuszko
Spend a weekend trekking through the Snowy Mountains National Park and climb the ten highest peaks in Australia. Known as the Aussie 10, the challenging 50 kilometre hike starts at Charlotte’s Pass and includes Carruthers Peak at 2,145m, Unnamed Peak’ SW of Abbott Peak at 2, 159m, Abbott Peak at 2,145m, Alice Rawson Peak at 2,160m, Rams Head North at 2,177m, Unnamed peak on Etheridge Ridge at 2,180m, Rams Head at 2,190m, Mount Twynam at 2,195m, Mount Townsend at 2,209m, and Australia’s highest peak Mount Kosciuszko at 2,228m.
You’ve heard of the Northern Lights, but did you know that in Australia you can see the Southern Lights? Known as Aurora Australis, the natural light phenomena occurs when electrically charged protons from the sun enter the Earth’s magnetic field and collide with gas particles, emitting a dancing kaleidoscope of light. The eerie Aurora is best seen in Tasmania, but can sometimes be seen in Victoria too.
Cage Diving with Great White Sharks
There’s nothing more exhilarating than entering the water and safely encountering a Great White Shark. Adventure Bay Charters not only offers Australia’s first eco-friendly, bait-free experience, but they have the world’s-only Shark Aqua Sub which allows you to see the sharks underwater without getting wet. Using audio-vibrations to attract the giant white pointers, you will have multiple heart-racing dive opportunities, leaving you with a healthy respect for sharks. Tick this toothy encounter off your bucket list by visiting Port Lincoln in South Australia.
Climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge
Since Bridge Climb launched in 1998, over three million visitors from all over the world have scaled Sydney Harbour Bridge. At 134 meters above sea level, this engineering marvel offers unrestricted panoramic views of the harbour. The dawn, day, twilight and night climbs take approximately three hours, while the Bridge Sample provides an express experience. Anyone above the age of ten can climb the bridge, with the oldest climber being 100. Bridge Climb also makes for an unforgettable setting to pop the question, with over 4,000 proposals on record.
Camel Ride on Cable Beach
Take an exotic safari along Cable Beach – a 22 kilometres stretch of dazzling white sand fringed by turquoise water and fiery tangerine soil – on the back of a friendly camel. Situated in Broome, Western Australia, the experience allows visitors to admire the glorious sunset over the Indian Ocean and between March and October, you can bare witness to the natural phenomenon known as Staircase to the Moon.
Twice the size of Switzerland, Arnhem Land is a remote and mysterious corner of the Northern Territory. Home to the oldest living culture in the world, the Yolngu people have inhabited the region for 60,000 years and continue to keep their traditions alive. Approximately 17,000 people live in Arnhem Land, 12,000 of which are the Yolngu people. Arnhem Land is best accessed through nominated tour operators who have earned the trust of the Yolngu people.
Located 18 kilometres west of Fremantle, off the coast of Western Australia, lies an island paradise populated by the smiling Quokka. Curious by nature, these adorable nocturnal marsupials are anything but camera shy and will often approach and pose with tourists for selfies. Be warned, you can be fined for feeding Rottnest Island’s furriest residents and should never forcibly handle the creature. Rottnest Island is accessible by air, boat and ferry.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.