Australia’s highest mountain, Mount Kosciuszko, is located within the Main Range of the Snowy Mountains and is a part of the Australian Alps National Parks and Reserves in New South Wales. The smallest of the Seven Summits, Mount Kosciuszko stretches 2,228 metres above sea level and offers panoramic 360-degree views from the summit.
Formed 355 to 490 million years ago, Mount Kosciuszko is a low profile granite mountain that was first summited in March 1840 by Polish explorer Count Pawel Edmund Strzelecki, who named the peak in honour of Polish national hero and hero of the American Revolutionary War, General Tadeusz Kościuszko. The area was deemed a national park in 1906 and was designated a UNESCO Biosphere Reserve in 1977; however, the mountain was misspelt as Kosciusko until 1997.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Approximately 100,000 people visit Mount Kosciuszko each year, with the majority of visitors choosing to hike during the summer. The Kosciuszko Express Chairlift from Thredbo is 1.8 kilometres, extending 560 metres and takes around 15 minutes to reach the top, terminating at the foot of Eagles Nest Restaurant. From the restaurant, there is an elevated metal track which passes by Rams Head Ridge and leads to Mount Kosciuszko. The walk is 6.4 kilometres one way. Throughout the summer months, it’s possible for anyone with a moderate fitness level to reach the summit thanks in part to the raised metal walkway which was installed to protect vegetation and prevent erosion; however, there are sections of the ascent which are steep and rocky and may be difficult for some. From June until late October, the Australian Alps are blanketed by heavy snowfall, making the ascent challenging, and the climb should only be attempted by avid hikers with the appropriate footwear and hiking gear.
One challenge popular with keen hikers is the Aussie 10, which challenges hikers to summit the ten highest peaks in Australia, all of which are a part of the Australian Alps. The ten mountains you can expect to climb during the challenge are Mount Kosciuszko, 2,228 metres; Mount Townsend, 2,209 metres; Mount Twynam, 2,195 metres; Rams Head, 2,190 metres; Unnamed peak on Etheridge Ridge, 2,180 metres; Rams Head North, 2,177 metres; Alice Rawson Peak, 2,160 metres; Abbott Peak, 2,145 metres; Carruthers Peak, 2,145 metres; and Mount Northcote, 2,131 metres. This journey typically begins at Charlotte Pass.
Mount Kosciuszko is located halfway between Melbourne and Sydney and is three hours south-west of Canberra. The drive from Sydney takes five and half hours, while it will take you six and half hours to drive up from Melbourne. Culture Trip Melbourne recommends flying into Canberra and staying at the nearby town of Jindabyne or the Thredbo Alpine Village. See the beauty of the Kosciuszko National Park below.
Mount Kosciuszko, Kosciuszko National Park, New South Wales, Australia
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.