This Prairie-style mansion in Wausau is considered one of the world’s finest examples of George Maher architecture. Each double has a period detail found nowhere else in the property, such as a claw-foot soaking tub in the Fuller Room and an oak tripartite headboard in the Sheldon Room. Nibble cheese and sip wine at the nightly social in a lounge with a striking mosaic fireplace, and the gourmet breakfast is in a wood-paneled dining room with stained-glass windows
Sharing lobby space with this homely hotel is a branch of Benvenuto’s, where you can perfect the art of building your perfect calzone. Next door to the shops, bars and restaurants of the Third Street Lifestyle Center, the inn has doubles bathed in gold and brown, in addition to self-catering suites with granite worktop kitchens, private whirlpools and lounges with fireplaces. Shared spaces allow relaxation in a plunge pool, jacuzzi and small gym.
Every room here has a record player, enabling you to spin albums from the on-site vinyl library. Spread across a 1940s brick-and-steel building and a 1960s motor lodge, the rooms also feature minibars packed with locally produced snacks and beers, and furniture handcrafted from the city’s urban wood. Play yard games or chill around fire pits in the courtyard, then head to the Lakely for live jazz and Koltboards, which are Scandinavian-style platters of cold meats, vegetables, bread and cheeses.
Swim off two sandy beaches or pop next door to the country’s largest waterpark? There’s no need to choose at this complex of privately owned apartments on the northern shores of Lake Delton, all with access to boat slips, outdoor and indoor pools, a spa, lakeside grills and fire pits. Individually themed after far-flung destinations, the waterfront studios for two have whirlpools, wet bars, body massage showers and decked balconies with Lake Delton views.
If this spa hotel were any closer to Lambeau Field, you’d be surrounded by boisterous Packers fans. Enjoy up-close views of Green Bay’s football stadium from ground-floor decks with fire pits and grills in the Terrace Suites, or through floor-to-ceiling windows in the Skyline Suite – the only accommodation on the top level. At fifth-floor, open-flame restaurant Taverne in the Sky, the pre-game speciality is rotisserie chicken with herb-tossed French fries, sweet-roasted brussels sprouts and chimichurri. Don’t miss the Packer Mule cocktails, either.
All one- and two-bedroom, self-catered condominiums at this Lake Minocqua retreat feature a fall color scheme and terraces overlooking the water. Perfect for a nature-orientated getaway, it offers renal canoes and kayaks, plus easy access to the Bearskin Trail, an 18mi (29km), linear route that cuts through hardwood forests and over historic railroad trestle bridges. After a day’s hiking or paddling, huddle by the lakeside fire pit or unwind in the spa, where you’ll find a cedar sauna and indoor pool.
Housed in the 19th-century Goodwin House, this adults-oriented boutique has Beloit’s only rooftop bar, where you can accompany Downtown views with a Wisconsin-style Old Fashioned (Korbei, bitters, Sprite) and snacks such as chimichurri beef skewers and Vietnamese grilled and chilled shrimp. Black-and-white rooms with tufted leather headboards feature turntables with records. Velvet Buffalo restaurant has modern fresh Italian cuisine and a sizable selection of gins and whiskies.
Adorned with rusting, heavy-duty machinery, this hotel’s entrance leaves no doubt about its former purpose. Established as a foundry in 1858, the building now contains industrially inspired rooms and suites with dark wood and exposed brick walls, iron-latticed desks and oversized wall clocks. Reserve the Legacy Suite for a lounge with a double-sided gas fireplace. At on-site steakhouse Merrill & Houston’s, the chef tops the Ironworks rib eye with shrimp, scallop, parmesan butter and garlic crumbs.
If you want to connect with your creative side, this art-obsessed boutique in Milwaukee has equipped every room with paintings by Wisconsin-based creators, butcher-block drawing paper, a turntable with records and – wait for it – a ukulele. When you’re not courting the muse, check out the creations of contemporary artists in the first- and second-floor galleries, treat yourself to a tipple in the Giggly – the city’s only champagne joint – or dine on Neapolitan-style pizza and artisanal Midwestern cuisine at the on-site eateries.
Looking for more great places to stay in Wisconsin? Check out our guide to the best hotels in Madison, Wisconsin, for every traveler, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.