When you’re young and in love, it isn’t always easy splurging on five-star dinners every night. Luckily, there are plenty of things to do, especially in Milwaukee, that require little to no money so that two lovebirds can celebrate their relationship without worrying about breaking the bank.
Take a sunset walk on the Lakefront Trail
Nowhere in Milwaukee is more beautiful than the Lakefront Trail. The people-watching is excellent, and in the summer, the weather is just about perfect. A sunset stroll is an ideal, romantic way to end a day or trip to Milwaukee, perhaps stopping for coffee at Colectivo or an ice cream cone at one of the pop-up vendors. Sometimes there is no better way to connect than connecting to nature.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Visit a record store
Do you and your loved one often quote Empire Records and High Fidelity? Then check out some of Milwaukee’s record stores on your next date. Due to MKE’s large hipster population, these stores are brimming with the crème de la crème of up-and-comers as well as oldies. The vibes at places such as The Exclusive Company and Rush-Mor are popping and prime for musically inclined tourists.
The Exclusive Company, 1669 N Farwell Ave, Milwaukee, WI, USA, +1 414 271 8590
Rush-Mor Ltd Music & Video, 2635 S Kinnickinnic Ave, Milwaukee, WI, USA, +1 414 4816040
While Milwaukee is home to “The World’s Largest Music Festival” (SUMMERFEST), the city also offers up celebrations for all different occasions and finds any reason to use the Henry Maier Festival Park, from concerts to fairs, but its cultural festivals are where it’s at. Milwaukee loves celebrating its diversity, so if you marry into a Milwaukee Italian or Irish family, you will be expected to attend festivals such as Festa Italiana or Irish Fest. If you or your significant other are proud of their heritage or culture, this is a fantastic way to spend a day. Plus, the entrance is usually free—it’s just the Guinness and spaghetti and meatballs that might drain the wallet.
Henry Maier Festival Park, 639 E Summerfest Pl, Milwaukee, WI, USA, +1 414 273 2680
Take an MKE Historic Walking Tour
From serial killers to iconic beer, Milwaukee certainly owns its fascinating history. For those couples who must know every little detail about their destination, taking a walking tour around Milwaukee is a fantastic idea for a date. Get acquainted with the surroundings as expert tour guides show you all that the great city by the lake has to offer, and the best part is that you can take a bunch of tours for an incredibly low price.
To the chagrin of many Milwaukee residents—the Brewers haven’t been good for decades, so cheering for them is a bit tough. However, that’s great for out-of-towners or young couples who are looking for a cheap but exciting date. Getting tickets to a Brewers game is incredibly simple and cost-effective. They even have $1 tickets called “Uecker seats.” And while they have an obstructed view of the game, you’re really only going to be there for the hot dogs and beer.
Miller Park, 1 Brewers Way, Milwaukee, WI, USA, +1 414 902 4452
Nicholas Sparks fans, this one is for you. If you want to kick up the romance level and have a sunset kiss, the North Point Lighthouse is the place to do it. The lighthouse resembles something straight out of a movie, so it’s the best place to get that Instagrammable couple pic while also learning the history of one of Milwaukee’s most recognizable landmarks, which also offers a plethora of free and cheap events sure to bring a good time.
North Point Lighthouse, 2650 N Wahl Ave, Milwaukee, WI, USA, +1 414 332 6754
If you grew up in Milwaukee, it’s likely that your first date was at Kopp’s Frozen Custard. The awkward hand-holding and the first kiss—it’s all nostalgic, just like Kopp’s. Have an old-school date, and visit Kopp’s to sample some of their phenomenally unique custard flavors or a 1950s-style burger.
Kopp’s Frozen Custard, 5373 N Port Washington Rd, Glendale, WI, USA, +1 414 961 3288
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.