While West Virginia might not be the top US state for skiing, it has the nickname ‘Mountain State’ because it is entirely within the Appalachian Mountain range. Its highest peak – Spruce Knob – reaches a decent 4,863m (15,955ft) above sea level. There are dozens of cross-country tracks as well as five downhill ski resorts across the state. The beauty of West Virginia is that most resorts are within easy day-trip distance from major cities, such as Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, Washington, D.C., and Columbus, Ohio. You’ll be singing John Denver’s song all the way to the ‘mountain mama’.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Canaan Valley Resort
Building, Sports Center
Canaan Valley might be small, but their 47 trails with 259m (850ft) of vertical descent certainly pack a punch. 75 percent of their slopes have snowmaking facilities, which is good for those dry spells. Plus, night skiing, snow tubing and 35km (21.7mi) of cross-country ski trails are on offer. Most of the slopes are aimed at beginners and intermediate skiers, plus advanced skiers who just need a quick weekend away. Head here mid-week, and you’re likely to have the slopes to yourself. Afterwards, visit Quenchers Pub for nachos, burgers or a pint of craft beer.
Timberline Four Seasons Resort
Timberline Mountain is an old favorite in West Virginia. It’s currently undergoing a $10 million redevelopment, ready for the 2020/21 winter season, including two new lifts and one super-speedy six-man chair to reduce queues. Alongside beginner and intermediate trails, there will be a racecourse, a terrain park and ski-in, ski-out accommodation. They’re additionally updating the beginners’ area with a magic carpet lift, as well as pumping more money into more snow-making facilities and a renewed rental shop.
For backcountry skiing, head to White Grass. Also located in the Canaan Valley, it is owned and run by Chip Chase who co-founded the touring center for excellent cross-country terrain, which is known for its warm, welcoming vibe. The center has over 60km (37mi) of trails and borders the Dolly Sods Wilderness Area of the Monongahela National Forest if you want more rugged, ungroomed trails. The Nordic ski center has rentals and lessons for cross-country and snowshoeing as well as a core telemark community. Don’t leave without visiting the hip White Grass Cafe that offers great vegetarian food and live music on Saturdays and holidays.
Blackwater Falls State Park
Snowshoe Mountain Resort
Snowshoe is West Virginia’s largest ski resort, and some argue it offers the best East Coast skiing south of New York. It joins the nearby Silver Creek ski resort to offer 65 runs, including 24 green, 20 blue and 16 black ones. Interestingly, it is an upside-down resort – the car park is at the top of the mountain, and the runs drop down from there. With 457cm (180in) of snow on average each year, it’s pretty good for east of Colorado. Accommodation is quite expensive, but there are plenty of amenities in town – from heated swimming pools to the kids’ indoor adventure center. Snowshoe is also part of the Ikon Pass, which is a season pass for 44 ski resorts across the world, including Aspen, Jackson Hole, Revelstoke and Zermatt.
With a name like Winterplace, you know the place is perfect for skiing and snowboarding. Located off Interstate 77 south of Beckley, West Virginia, Winterplace is a great family ski resort in the southern part of the state. The ski season always depends on snow, but the resort usually opens in December and closes in March. All of the runs have snowmakers, so, even if the natural snow is lower than normal, the trails will be open as long as the temperature is cold enough. With 27 runs, 10 lifts and one snow park, the resort caters to all abilities. Night skiing is available on nearly every single run, allowing for long days on the hill. For those who don’t want to ski, check out the snow tubing park, the largest in the state. The resort has cabins to rent for a weekend away, or you can find hotels in nearby Beckley.
Every in December, this golf resort and city park transforms into a ski resort. While it is only open on weekends, it does provide a fun afternoon on the slopes. It has a tiny hill with three lifts and a couple of green and blue runs to schuss down. Beginners can sign up for lessons – it’s a great place to learn before progressing onto a bigger resort once you’ve mastered the basics. Kids are well catered for here, thanks to the Bunny School and tubing slope. Lift passes are cheap, starting at $22 for adults, while under-fives ski for free when accompanied by a paying adult.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.