With an abundance of delicious bounty from local sources and surrounding areas, Spokane’s culinary scene is constantly evolving and offering new taste experiences. From vegan options to exotic flavors, New American to Ethiopian cuisine, you’re guaranteed to find some great dining options. In this updated article we explore 10 of the best cultural restaurants in Spokane, Washington.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Boot’s Bakery & Lounge
Boot’s Bakery and Lounge is a complete vegan eatery specialising in sweet and savoury edibles, espresso drinks, and handcrafted libations. Opened in 2012 by Alison Collins, Boot’s is located in the historic Longbotham building in a beautiful space complete with exposed bricked walls, lofty ceilings, and artworks by local artists making for a vibrant atmosphere. Offering an array of vegan deliciousness that can vary each day due to what is available from local farmers, guests can try tasty options such as cupcakes, banana snack cake, bean salad, BBQ tofu, and macaroni and cheese to name but a few. Most of the culinary delights served at Boot’s are gluten-free as well.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Gordy’s Sichuan Cafe
A neighbourhood restaurant, Gordy’s Sichuan Cafe features delicious Chinese cuisine in a cosy and welcoming environment. Located on South Hill, this eatery has been a part of the Spokane culinary scene for over a decade. Using the freshest ingredients available, the food will appeal to many palates as there are varying levels of spiciness, plus most of the recipes can be prepared using no animal products. Delicious highlights include cashew scallops with broccoli, bamboo, baby corn, carrot stars, and roasted cashews glazed in master sauce; home-style tofu with squash, mushrooms, and bamboo braised with yu dofu; and hunan beef with scallions, ginger, chilli pods, garlic, and shaoxing wine.
Established in 2010 by Bethe Bowman and Anna Vogel, general manager and chef respectively, Italia Trattoria is a lovely eatery featuring regionally Italian-inspired cuisine. Situated in the historic Browne’s Addition neighbourhood, the culinary team creates seasonal dishes — the menus change frequently — using the finest and freshest local and artisan ingredients procured from local and regional areas plus Italy. Past highlights included hand-made pappardelle with red wine braised lamb, pecorino cheese, and fresh mint, and for dessert, panna cotta with fresh strawberry compote and a palmier. Serving lunch, dinner, plus a weekend brunch, they also have several gluten-free options and a great selection of wines. Reservations are recommended.
Manito Tap House
Founded in 2011 on South Hill, Manito Tap House is a Four-Star Certified Green Restaurant or, in this case, gastro pub specialising in modern American cuisine and beer. Featuring 50 beers on tap with the majority being craft beer, this team is dedicated to learning everything about the brews they serve; indeed, anyone who works at this joint must past a 45-question beer test. As for the delectable food, only the best seasonal locally sourced ingredients, including organics, are used in the creative dishes, which include blackened mac and cheese with chicken, hickory-smoked bacon, and cheese sauce. A lively pub with a modern rustic interior, Manito’s is a place where people go to have a fun night out.
Queen of Sheba
Korean Spare Ribs at Stacks at Steam Plant | Courtesy Stacks at Steam Plant
Diners will not only be able to experience authentic Ethiopian cuisine but also traditional dining at Queen of Sheba, an outstanding eatery established in 2010 by Almaz Ainuu, a native of Ethiopia. With many vegetarian options plus entrées featuring beef, lamb, and poultry, the food will appeal to many gastronomes. All items are served on one platter; there is no cutlery but rather Injera, a spongy flatbread, which is used to pick up the food, which includes exotic items like red split lentils in berbere sauce and beef sautéed in Ethiopian spiced butter with peppers, onions, rosemary, and spices. A delightful culinary experience like no other, Queen of Sheba also offers a traditional Ethiopian coffee ceremony each Saturday for which reservations are required.
Stacks at Steam Plant
Housed in a steam plant that produced energy for local residents and businesses for over 70 years, Stacks is a great restaurant featuring New American cuisine. In a unique environment complete with 80-foot ceilings, old broiler pipes, and catwalks, diners can savour seasonal dishes made with fresh ingredients procured from local farmers and ranchers. The smokehouse chicken breast stuffed with Heron Pond gouda cheese and caramelised onions served with a smoked tomato vinaigrette, red quinoa and vegetables, and the smoked salmon pasta in a light garlic white wine cream sauce are two mouth-watering options. With Steam Plant Brewing Company & Pub on-site, pair your meal with a microbrew for the full Steam Plant experience.
The Wandering Table
Originally a pop up restaurant, The Wandering Table — located at Kendall Yards — opened a permanent brick-and-mortar shop in May 2014 focusing on New American cuisine and handcrafted libations. Specialising in small plates served family-style, this eatery, which is owned by Chef Adam Hegsted, prides itself on using only the best seasonal ingredients procured from local purveyors. The menu changes frequently; past offerings included devilled eggs stuffed with maple-bacon filling and topped with toast; hoisin fried tofu with mushroom confit, dashi broth, plus candied and fried garlic; and goat cheesecake with summer fruit. Gastronomes may also name a price, and the chef will make something within that price range.
Wild Sage American Bistro
Established in 2006, Wild Sage American Bistro is a multiple award-winning dining establishment highlighting fresh, locally sourced ingredients. Featuring a warm and cosy environment filled with natural light during the day and soft lighting at night, the atmosphere is great for a night out with friends or a romantic rendezvous. Wild Sage’s culinary team creates mouth-watering made-to-order dishes that can be altered to accommodate different dietary needs, therefore, satisfying many tastes. Highlights to note include the Korean-style pork shanks with kalbi barbecue glaze, vegetable-mushroom sauté, and pickled chilli relish and the almond flour ravioli with burrata cheese, mushroom-tomato ragu, and pecorino-romano cheese.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.