When people think of Seattle celebrities, the ones that usually come to mind are musicians like Kurt Cobain and Jimi Hendrix. But Seattle is responsible for a lot more than grunge and rock legends.
Over the years, the Emerald City has birthed a number of actors like Invasion of the Body Snatchers‘ Kevin McCarthy and musical star Carol Channing. And it’s not just Seattle either. Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.‘s Blair Underwood was born in Tacoma, Twin Peaks‘ Kyle MacLachlan hails from Yakima, and Parenthood‘s Craig T. Nelson calls Spokane his home. Actors and celebrities alike come from all over the Evergreen State. Below are five of those stars.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This Disney Channel star was born in the Emerald City, but she didn’t actually grow up there. A ferry ride away from Seattle, Dove Cameron discovered acting on Bainbridge Island. At the Bainbridge Performing Arts Center, Cameron performed in productions like Les Miserables and The Secret Garden before making her onscreen debut in the Showtime series Shameless. Dove’s fame skyrocketed when she snagged the dual-role of Liv and Maddie Rooney in the Disney Channel’s Liv and Maddie. Since then, Dove has earned roles on shows and movies like Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Descendants, and the upcoming film starring Jennifer Aniston, Dumplin’.
The overwhelmingly talented television and stage actor Jean Smart calls Seattle her home. The Designing Women star first took to the stage at Ballard High School where she then went on to attend the University of Washington, earning a B.F.A. in their Professional Actors Training Program. From there, Smart acted up and down the Pacific Northwest, performing with companies like the Seattle Repertory Theatre.
After Designing Women, Smart appeared in a number of fan favorites like The Brady Bunch Movie and Mistress. And in 2000, Smart kind of returned to her hometown when she took the role of Lana Gardner on the Seattle based show Frasier, for which she earned two Emmy Awards for Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series. Since then, Smart’s filmography has grown to include everything from Sweet Home Alabama to Youth in Revolt to the FX television series, Fargo.
That’s right, The Office‘s own Dwight Schrute hails from the Emerald City. Rainn Wilson was actually born at the University of Washington Medical Center, the university he would eventually attend and earn a B.A. in Drama from. It was there that Wilson met his future wife, writer Holiday Reinhorn. The two married on the Kalama River in Wilson’s home state in 1995.
Outside of The Office, the comedian took on roles in popular films like Juno, Super, Cooties, and of course, his feature film debut Galaxy Quest. The Office star has since moved on from Seattle, splitting his time between Los Angeles and Sisters, Oregon.
This Seattle-born, Golden-Age star was the inspiration for Nirvana’s popular song off of their In Utero album, “Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge on Seattle.” The song is a reference to Farmer’s tumultuous life ridden with mental illness, alcoholism, and violence. In the 1940s, her mother institutionalized Farmer at the Western State Hospital in Steilacoom, Washington, an experience she later wrote about in her memoir, Will There Ever be a Morning?, the book the inspired the song above. The complexities of Farmer’s life are best conveyed in episode 4 of Karina Longworth’s popular podcast, You Must Remember This.
In regards to acting, Farmer found her way to Hollywood during the 1930s and was cast alongside stars like Bing Crosby in Rhythm on the Range as well as Tyrone Power in Son of Fury: The Story of Benjamin Blake. Farmer first found acting in her hometown, while attending the University of Washington. There, she studied drama and eventually earned degrees in both journalism and drama. Despite becoming a Hollywood star, Farmer would go on to claim that the stage was where she felt most at home.
Alison Sudol is not only the actress that plays the undeniably charming Queenie Goldstein in the Harry Potter spinoff prequel, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, but she’s also the lead singer of the popular band, A Fine Frenzy. Sudol was born in Seattle, but didn’t stay for long. After her parents divorced when she was five, they all moved down to Los Angeles where she eventually graduated from high school at 16. Outside of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, Sudol has garnered praise from her roles as Kaya in the Amazon series, Transparent, as well as Emma in the USA Network miniseries, Dig.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.