Book a room with a balcony in Washington DC to gaze over the capital of the United States and an icon of world democracy from the comfort of your private abode.
You’ve seen it on rolling news channels, in your morning paper and on the big screen, now take in Washington DC from your very own private hotel balcony. The selection of rooms with a view in the US capital is spectacular, offering you the chance to gaze over the White House, Washington Memorial or Potomac River with your morning cup of joe.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Luxuriate in the quintessential DC experience at this elegant family-owned hotel. It has many claims to fame, including acting as home to the Obama family prior to their White House entry and appearing in political TV shows such as House of Cards and Homeland. Book the White House View suite for views over the presidential HQ, or opt for a room overlooking St John’s Episcopal Church or Lafayette Square.
The name may be inextricably linked to political skullduggery, but the Watergate is honest luxury at its purest. The 336 guest rooms and suites are dressed in a respectful gray and white, softened with wood furniture – ask for one of the rooms with a balcony overlooking the Potomac River. The Kingbird restaurant serves cuisine from the Mediterranean with a French Riviera twist, while post-day drinks are best enjoyed on either the terrace bar (panoramas over the river and Washington Monument included) or in the Next Whisky Bar, where a wall has been created using 2,500 gently illuminated whisky bottles.
Renowned for attentive service and welcoming hospitality, this grand hotel is another with extensive facilities. It’s ideal for families: kids will love the swimming pool, parents the holiday specials, and pets the chef-made doggy treats. The gym has free classes as standard, while Juniper restaurant serves New American fare. It’s found in the West End, on the periphery of Georgetown. Book a deluxe room for a petite balcony overlooking the courtyard.
The Melrose is firmly placed on the Georgetown culinary map, thanks to in-house destination restaurant Jardenea, which is known for farm-to-fork dining. The 240 rooms and suites have Serta pillow-top beds, large flatscreens, down comforters, coffee makers, and bathrooms with black granite counters. The Presidential Suite has, not so much a balcony, but a grand outside terrace with space for up to 20.
Named after its locale, this preppy DC hotel was put up in 1947 but had a complete renovation in 2019. It’s set across nine floors, with a hearty selection of rooms and suites, the latter of which can come with balconies or terraces. Fireplaces, marble bathrooms and a grand exterior fountain provide vintage gravitas. Evenings are a fashionable affair thanks to the hotel’s mid-century cocktail bar and its farm-to-table restaurant that draws on Mediterranean and North African flavors.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.