Every US President since John Adams has resided in the famous White House in Washington DC since its reconstruction in 1800 – feel like one of them by staying in one of these hotels nearby, bookable with Culture Trip.
If you approach DC by driving over the vast Potomac River, you’ll know you have been catapulted into a special place. Despite being an urban environment, it’s surrounded by green spaces and trees – the National Mall, which begins with the Abraham Lincoln Monument and stretches 2mi to the Capitol Building at its east end, is one of the most astonishing man-made outdoor spaces in the country. As for culture, the Smithsonian Institute and a whole array of museums are also everywhere around – plus Lafayette Square, location of the White House, is a must-visit. Planning your visit? These are the best hotels near the White House.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Sleek, minimalist and uber cool, the suites and rooms at the CQ Hotels offer calm in the midst of Washington DC’s hectic downtown. Got looming deadlines? Work from its stylish Parsons desks – though your bed will be so comfortable, you might want to complete your tasks horizontally. Several of the Superior Rooms have small kitchenettes making it feel like a home-away-from-home. Close to some of the most recognizable monuments and museums in Washington, this is a superior location to other properties.
Light and breezy interiors with tremendous views, this sublime property has a location that is unbeatable for attractions and amenities of Washington DC, as well as being just a 10-minute stroll from the White House. The spacious one-bedroom apartments have a separate bedroom, kitchen – including dishwasher, crockery and utensils – dining area and workspace. There is a rooftop patio with pool, BBQ grill and plenty of room for lounging, as well as an enormous communal space downstairs, game room and further outdoor seating.
Opulence and grandeur are the keystones of the St Regis Hotel in Washington DC, renowned for butler service. This Regency-style historic hotel oozes period features: the lobby’s ornate crystal chandelier is matched by the swathes of velvet curtains, and the truly sumptuous St Regis Bar is bathed in deep red and orange colors, mirrored in its famous St Regis Bloody Mary. It’s not often that guest rooms also have chandeliers or a Presidential Suite has been graced by dignitaries the world over. The dining here is unsurpassed, with the Alhambra offering a stylish more modern setting for exceptional meals and service.
Simple yet sophisticated, this bijou property puts you, quite literally, at the heart of the action in downtown Washington DC. The lobby is stylish and punctuated with Regency-style furnishings, there’s air conditioning throughout and each guest room has a desk and working area. Helpful staff provide concierge services and ticket assistance, plus there is a hair salon on-site. Walk out the door and you’re minutes from fine dining, the remarkable Lafayette Square and the White House.
This is less a hotel and more a retreat or an eco-resort in the midst of the city. The Eaton Workshop creates a space for imagination and co-working, while the hotel offers respite to escape the hustle and bustle of daily life. Rooms are bright and utilitarian, yet comfortable and fit within the ethos of the Eaton Workshop. Eaton Wellness, located in the hotel, offers care, healing and expansion. There is also a radio station, cinema and coffee shop. In the spirit of retreats such as Burning Man, Eaton Workshop is forging a community of activists, thought leaders and innovators.
Built in 1922 and sitting between the beaux art and art deco periods in regards to style, this exceptional hotel is 11 stories and 300 rooms of glamour and listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Upon opening, it became the hub of Washington DC social life, the site for inaugural balls and even served as the War Room for FDR during World War II. The outside of the hotel is decorated with bas relief ornamentation of terracotta and stone, while a vaulted entry leads into the grand lobby.
Is there a more famous political stage than the Watergate Hotel? It’s the scene of the burgled Democratic Headquarters office in 1971 – reporters Carl Bernstein and Bob Woodward broke the story for The Washington Post, which led to the demise of Richard Nixon. Now guests can enjoy the unashamed luxury of this topflight hotel and its excellent complimentary breakfast. There is an indoor pool and the Argentta Spa offers pampering treatments. The Top of the Gate rooftop bar overlooking the Potomac River shouldn’t be missed.
There are plenty of accommodation options throughout DC – you could opt for one of the best hotels with a balcony, or choose a hip apartment you’ll want to call home, bookable now with Culture Trip. Keep busy with the best outdoor activities in the city, or take a weekend trip nearby if you – somehow – finish exploring Washington.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.