Washington DC lives up to the nickname “America’s Front Yard”: the US capital welcomes guests of all nationalities, stripes and species with the same pomp and circumstance. From the National Mall to the Tidal Basin, there’s plenty of green space to play on. Domestic animals are also no strangers to the halls of power: learn about the proud history of America’s First Pets at the Presidential Pet Museum. Hotels are no exception. Many not only allow furry friends but cater happily to their specific needs. Here are the best pet-friendly hotels in Washington DC.
DC’s hippest micro-hotel strips the hotel experience down to the bare essentials: comfort, style and your four-legged best friend. Cozy up with your pet in one of the Hive rooms (up to 250 sqft/23sqm), and bring them along to the buzz-worthy rooftop Hive Bar. After all, what could be a better conversation starter than a precious pooch? Hotel Hive is also the perfect base for pet-friendly excursions to Roosevelt Island and Georgetown Waterfront Park.
The Eaton DC strives to be a radically inclusive space, and this extends to our animal friends. Whether you have two legs or four, you’ll be supplied with everything you need to live like pigs in clover. Up to two pets stay free, and, where many pet-friendly hotels won’t let (even well-behaved) animals stay unattended in rooms, here, it’s the opposite. You’re just one block from the largest park downtown, Franklin Square, which has plenty of birds and squirrels to scamper after, as well as food trucks and people-watching opportunities aplenty.
This quirky boutique hotel between Dupont and Logan Circles welcomes dogs weighing no more than 75lb (34kg), so German Shepherds and Labrador Retrievers are in luck. The tree-lined neighborhood has a homey residential feel, but it’s only a few short blocks to the buzzing 14th street corridor. What could be nicer than weekend dining with your furry companion alfresco at the Logan Tavern, Commissary coffee shop or Colada cafe/bar? Stretch all six of your legs at the Shaw Dog Park, and be sure to stop for a home-made treat at the Doggy Style Bakery.
You won’t cause a scandal when you show up to the Watergate with your dog. The Presidential Pooches package attracts privileges such as a bespoke Watergate bed and blanket, concierge dog-walking and daycare. All that and a room-service menu for your pup, with gourmet options including air-chilled chicken, grass-fed lamb or beef with caramelized onion mashed potatoes. The only possible problem? Your darling won’t leave once their term at the Watergate is up.
Does Fido dream of being First Dog? The Hay-Adams is about as close as you can get to the White House without winning an election. Here, as they say, “Nothing is overlooked but the Whitehouse.” Indeed, many rooms offer unparalleled views of the presidential residence. Complimentary treats, beds and bowls – with a personal bottle of Fiji for Fido – await in your sumptuously appointed room. Wallow in custom-made italian sheets and goose-down duvets, surrounded by creamy etoile drapery and ornate moldings. That’s what we call canine cool.
You’ll both feel right at home in this refreshed apartment building in the venerable Foggy Bottom neighborhood. Dogs and cats receive a warm welcome in the inn’s spacious, contemporary suites. And every day brings with it a new “leash” of life, thanks to its location near some of DC’s most inviting dog parks and green spaces. Our favorites? A sunset run along the Potomac River. Alternatively, explore the gardens and woodland of beautiful Montrose Park.
Pets are received like royal dignitaries at the Kimpton George, regardless of their political stripes, scales, size or species. Front-desk staff greet them by name upon arrival and present them with an assortment of beds, blankets, toys, treats and anything else they may require for an enjoyable stay. And where does that leave human guests? Thoroughly spoilt, with cotton sateen sheets, whimsical pop-art decor, nightly wine receptions and the fruits of the in-house bistro each evening, serving succulent French fare including house-made charcuterie sausage.
For more options, discover our guide to the best hotels in Washington DC with parking and book now with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.