Marijuana legalization in Washington, D.C. has been a long time coming. Medical marijuana was legalized in D.C. in 1998, although a long legal battle blocked implementation for almost 11 years. It was decriminalized in 2014, with law enforcement issuing warnings and fines instead of jail time for convicted offenders.
The most important place to start when navigating the semi-legalized D.C. marijuana market is knowing the law. In February 2015, D.C. passed the Legalization of Possession of Minimal Amounts of Marijuana for Personal Use Initiative, commonly known as Initiative 71. The law states that anyone over the age of 21 is permitted to possess up to two ounces of marijuana to be used on private property. It also allows for the possession of associated paraphernalia and sets a limit on how many plants you’re allowed to grow (which is six).
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
You’re still not allowed to recreationally purchase marijuana, however. According to Initiative 71, a person can be arrested for selling any amount of marijuana to another person. Essentially, D.C. is stuck in a weird purgatory where you’re not going to get in trouble for having pot, but it won’t be as easily accessible (or price-regulated) as it is in a market like Denver or Seattle.
The good news is that despite the relative hoops you’d have to go through to find and purchase marijuana in D.C., the penalties are virtually nonexistent. According to D.C.’s official police website, “If the person says they are at least 21 years old but cannot prove their age, the person will be issued a warning ticket by the MPD officer.”
“The seized marijuana will be returned if the person brings the warning ticket to the police station in the police district where the seizure occurred (no sooner than 24 hours and no later than 21 days after the seizure) and provides proof of age.”
Because of the way that Initiative 71 is set up, the most popular way to get marijuana in D.C. is to be “gifted it.” Over the past three years, a number of different startups have cropped up in D.C., each offering their unique spin on the evident loophole. Pop-up events have become increasingly popular, where vendors will set up shop, charge an entry fee at the door, and then offer a variety of free goods.
For women, a startup named Golden Pineapple has entered the scene—casting aside the image of the 20-something stoner male. Golden Pineapple is a “woman-owned lifestyle brand at the intersection of cannabis, cuisine, art, and social justice.” One of their most popular events is a Yoga + Tea experience that they offer a half-dozen times per month.
Delivery services have also become popular in the District. Looking to indulge that sweet tooth? Red Eye Delivery offers a pack of six freshly baked chocolate chip cookies delivered right to your door. The $60 price tag seems a little steep for cookies until you see the generous gift that Red Eye offers as well.
Sometimes your diet just can’t afford to buy six chocolate chip cookies—we get that. Vendors like LOCAL’d, Paper Boy Delivery, and Pink Fox offer a wide variety of products. Whether you’re looking for paraphernalia, clothes, or even local art, there’s more than likely a vendor in D.C. that has what you want.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.