A roundup of the best books on the presidency of Donald Trump.
Navigating the tornado of Trump-related news is becoming increasingly difficult. Between the highly polarised media landscape and the prolific tweeting of President Trump himself, building a stable picture of the political situation can feel like an impossible task. On the release of ex-FBI Director James Comey’s new book, here are 7 works that provide deeply researched and considered analysis on the Trump presidency so far.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies, and Leadership by James Comey
A Higher Loyalty: Truth, Lies and Leadership is the newly released book from former FBI director James Comey, who was fired by President Trump in May 2017. In an interview with ABC news just days before the book’s release, Comey said: “I don’t think he’s medically unfit to be president. I think he’s morally unfit to be president,” providing a taste of his scathing portrayal of his former boss in the book. Having received widespread criticism for his reopening of the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s emails just ten days before the election, Comey divides opinion on both extremes of the political spectrum.
Trumpocracy: The Corruption of the American Republic by David Frum
Trumpocracy: The Corruption of the American Republic is the bestselling book from former speechwriter to George W. Bush and senior editor at The Atlantic, David Frum. In it, Frum examines the ways in which Trump has undermined the pillars of democracy through what he has defined as a “repressive plutocracy”.
Trump’s First Year by Michael Nelson
Published on the first anniversary of Trump’s inauguration, renowned political science professor Michael Nelson evaluates Trump’s first year in office, using indisputable factual evidence. In a year mired by claims of “fake news” and partisan reporting, Nelson’s work is an attempt to provide an objective assessment of Trump’s first year in the White House.
Fire and Fury by Michael Wolff
Who can forget the storm that surrounded Michael Wolff’s book Fire and Fury, released ahead of time at the start of January 2018? Drawing on interviews with Trump’s inner circle and juicy fly-on-the-wall observations, Wolff portrays the President and his administration as a shambolic outfit, caught in a culture of backstabbing, leaks and personal grudges. With everything from how Melania cried on the night of the election to the starchy, sugar-filled diet of the President himself, Wolff’s book depicts a rudderless White House in chaos.
Unbelievable: My Front Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History by Katy Tur
Katy Tur’s Unbelievable: My Front Row Seat to the Craziest Campaign in American History recounts her fascinating story covering the Trump campaign for NBC news in 2016. Initially winning the favours of the Republican nominee, Tur soon fell out of favour with Trump, who later viciously shamed her at a public press conference. Her story – disturbing, shocking and illuminating – recounts one of the most historic political campaigns in the U.S.A, that yielded quite unbelievable results.
Collusion: Secret Meetings, Dirty Money, and How Russia Helped Donald Trump Win by Luke Harding
Drawing on his experience as The Guardian’s Moscow correspondent and former Moscow bureau chief, Luke Harding’s Collusion: Secret Meetings, Dirty Money, and How Russia Helped Donald Trump Win presents a compelling case outlining how Russia’s interference in the presidential campaign helped seal Trump’s victory. Drawing on conversations with the now renowned ex-MI6 spy Christopher Steele – who characterised the Trump-Russia conspiracy as “absolutely massive” – Harding’s access is unparalleled. As Robert Mueller’s investigation into possible collusion continues, Harding’s book is essential background reading on the subject, as well as a thrilling page-turner.
Devil’s Bargain: Steve Bannon, Donald Trump, and the Nationalist Uprising by Joshua Green
Devil’s Bargain: Steve Bannon, Donald Trump, and the Nationalist Uprising examines the well-documented partnership between Steve Bannon and Donald Trump, and the alt-right links to the Trump presidency. From heading Trump’s presidential campaign in 2016, serving as chief strategist to the President in 2017, to being ejected and airbrushed from Trump’s inner circle in 2018, the saga of Steve Bannon is central to understanding the President’s rise to power. Devil’s Bargain is the culmination of years of interviews and research from one of America’s leading political journalists.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.