Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Virginia’s River House is a plantation house near Millwood in Clarke County, 70mi (113km) out of Washington DC and only a 30-minute drive from charming Frederick. If you’re planning a visit and need somewhere to stay, look no further. Whether you fancy a boutique hotel or an all-American bed and breakfast, we have your Virginia accommodation options covered – all bookable on Culture Trip.
Less than a mile from Taubman Museum of Art and Roanoke Civic Center, you’ll find elegant, well-finished rooms in this Tudor revival building dating back to 1882. Beyond the striking circular lobby, there’s an outdoor pool, a spa, well-equipped fitness center and a cozy, wood-paneled pub, plus a gourmet restaurant. Upgraded rooms include access to a lounge providing breakfast and snacks at no extra charge.
So relaxing, so tasteful, so homely – with contemporary design and a real feel of luxury, Roanoke Boutique Hotel was created with a love for the area and the Blue Ridge Mountains. This 1890s house is a mile (1.6km) from the Taubman Museum of Art and just 3mi (4.8km) from the Mill Mountain Zoo, and offers a choice of two well-appointed king suites – one has a private porch, and both include breakfast.
In addition to its friendly and efficient hosts, this welcoming bed and breakfast has generous common areas with beautiful views. Tranquil and secluded yet just minutes from downtown Roanoke – as well as the Blue Ridge Parkway, Explore Park and Appalachian Trail – this classic taste of Virginia takes care of all the details, so you can enjoy a truly relaxing experience. Rooms are traditional, restful and well-appointed – nothing here is too much trouble.
Yes, it’s the one from the Witch Trials, but these lofts are far from spooky. Originally the HQ of a now-defunct automotive company, they currently comprise 18 one-bedroom apartments, two restaurants and a beautiful courtyard on the main level. The Lofts have managed to retain as much of the fabric of the building as possible, with bare brick and stripped-back beams.
Again, quite the spooky name, but this super-friendly inn – with upscale rooms and common areas – really knows how to set the mood for relaxation and rejuvenation. There are modern comforts and amenities throughout, with organic breakfast, eco-friendly luxury sheets, paraben-free bath and body products, a fire pit and freshly brewed coffee. The rooms are traditional and comfortable, with plus-size king beds and most importantly, free wifi.
Framed by the Blue Ridge Mountains and within walking distance of downtown Roanoke, the King George Inn has many amenities. These include a European-style breakfast made with ingredients from the local farmers’ market, a library and sitting room in an upstairs nook, a living room with a TV and free off-street parking. The opulent accommodation – with mountain views – is positively regal.
This striking piece of old Virginia once welcomed dignitaries, and has been renovated and restored for those wanting to retreat into the walls of a historic Southern mansion. Nope, you might not be a dignitary, but you are most welcome here. There’s a beautiful common area and the rooms all have private bathrooms, TVs and free wifi. Continental breakfast in a picnic basket is placed outside your room in the morning, complete with fresh fruit, fresh pastries and biscotti.
Sitting snugly under the Hilton umbrella, this appealing collection of suites is set on a quaint, tree-lined street in Roanoke, with boutique shops and eateries on the doorstep. Housed in an appealing building atop Market Square Parking Garage, there’s free breakfast, a gym and bright and modern accommodation – offering everything you need for a relaxed and enjoyable stay. Oh, and you’re just a minute’s walk from regular open-air concerts at Elmwood Park.
Looking for somewhere different? Book into one of the best hotels in nearby Lexington, or find a charming stay in Virginia’s Shenandoah National Park. Make the most of the great outdoors with the top camping spots in the state, and find out where to see fall foliage in the Old Dominion.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.