Virginia is one of the United States’ most historical states, and for digs fit for the founding fathers, look no further than these contemporary hotels and bed and breakfasts near the historic Mount Zion – bookable on Culture Trip.
Looking out over the felt-green fields of the Shenandoah Valley, Mount Zion is a handsome, 1771-built stone mansion and one of the oldest buildings in Virginia. But that’s not all this part of the country has to offer. Close by is the State Arboretum of Virginia, home to hundreds of different tree species and perfect for a romantic stroll. Alternatively, take in the kitsch Dinosaur Land, just 20 minutes away, with its roar-some models. Whatever you get up to, bed down in one of these lovely, hand-picked hotels.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Ashby’s rooms are charming, furnished with 19th-century furniture, four-poster beds and handmade quilts and rugs. However, it’s the food at its restaurant that will have you writing home. Breakfast is served every day until 9:30am, but on weekends, it also offers brunch, when you can enjoy steak and eggs with home-made fries, washed down with coffee from local roaster Black Dog Coffee Company. After a day browsing the boutique shops in nearby Middleburg, return to your table for a dinner of pistachio-crusted salmon or seared scallops with braised cannellini beans.
Styled like a relaxing French country inn – with added views of the Blue Ridge Mountains – L’Auberge Provençale has homey but refined rooms, some with open fires and garden views. Start each day with a dip in the seasonal outdoor pool, followed by breakfast in the sunroom, where you can feast on croissants, café au lait (remember the French theme here) and cherry crêpes with minted maple syrup. Indulge in a chauffeur-driven wine tour so that you can taste the various varieties grown in the lush Virginia hillsides.
At this deeply romantic spot in the Shenandoah Valley, you can take your pick from multiple accommodation options. Choose from the 18th-century coral-colored manor house with period-style furniture, or private, rustic cottages and cabins tucked away among the trees. You’ll love the sense of space, from comfortable sitting rooms to quaint porches and classic Adirondack chairs facing the Vaucluse Spring. Three-course breakfasts packed with local goodies are the norm here – perfect before a day of hiking in Shenandoah National Park.
Waypoint House is a welcoming wood-clad, vanilla-painted B&B in Berryville, minutes from Winchester. It offers a selection of themed rooms, from the spacious Traveler’s Retreat with a double whirlpool tub and period pieces to the beachy Shore room with soft blues and whites and coastal vibes. Foodies will love the Saturday Clarke County Farmers’ Market, with stalls laden with fresh fruits, local honey, bottles of herb vinegar and sweet cider – perfect for popping in your luggage for a taste of Appalachia back at home.
This good-looking red-brick Georgian Revival hotel is mere steps from shops and restaurants in Old Town Winchester. Pared-back, neutral-hued rooms mirror one another except for suites, which add grand four-poster beds. Sweeten your day with crème brûlée french toast and good, hot coffee at the wooden-floored George’s Food & Spirits before exploring. History buffs can follow the self-guided walking tour of Old Town Winchester, with 250 years of architecture and local history, passing quaint shops and cafes.
White-painted sash windows framed by green shutters and a cheery red-brick exterior welcome you to this sustainably run organic farm near the Shenandoah River in Berryville. All three comfortable rooms feature well-trodden floorboards, four-poster beds and pretty armchairs set by windows with meadow and mountain views. Swing in the hammock, visit the pigs, goats, sheep and chickens, and gather apples in the orchard before following the estate’s own nature trail.
Wine lovers will pop their corks for this romantic, sprawling B&B in Round Hill, about 6mi (10km) from Bluemont Vineyard and 16mi (25km) from Greenhill Winery & Vineyards. Brass bed frames and wooden four-poster beds grace the bedrooms with soft peaches and whites, and homey waffle throws. The grounds are worth a visit alone, lined with pristine lawns, terraces and sweet spots for planning day trips or just curling up with a good book.
Being one of the most historical states in America, Virginia has plenty to do. Opt for a stay near the picturesque Shenandoah National Park, or book one of the best hotels near George Washington’s Mount Vernon now via Culture Trip. Engage with nature during a trip to the best spots to see fall foliage in Virginia.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.