The vibrant waterfront city of Norfolk, VA, is known for its military links and strategic position on Chesapeake Bay. If you’re in town and have 24 hours to spare, take a look at our guide to the best spots in town for insider lowdown on where to visit, eat, and drink.
Morning and afternoon
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Start the day with breakfast at the Handsome Biscuit, where the specialty is sweet-potato biscuit sandwiches. Other favorites include the Hella Fitzgerald, a fried chicken sandwich with bacon, cheddar and sausage gravy; and the A.C. Slawter, a pulled pork barbecue sandwich with with apple coleslaw and hot sauce.
You probably won’t be hungry for lunch just yet, so spend the rest of the morning and early afternoon at the Chrysler Museum of Art & Glass Studio. The museum has nearly 100 galleries for 30,000 works of art from around the world. Across the street from the museum sits the the Chrysler Museum Glass Studio, a modern, 7,000-square-foot educational facility that supports artists working in a variety of glassmaking processes, including blown glass, flame working and cold working. Visitors can simply enjoy a glassblowing demonstration or take a class themselves and make a paperweight, holiday ornament or terrarium. The museum and glass studio are located in the NEON (New Energy of Norfolk) district, so after your museum visit, explore the area and check out the building-size murals and sculptures. Be sure to stop in the d’Art Center gallery and grab a poke bowl from Zeke’s Beans & Bowls on Granby Street.
Norfolk is surrounded by the Chesapeake Bay, Atlantic Ocean and Elizabeth River, making seafood a menu staple at local restaurants such as Saltine at the Hilton in downtown Norfolk. For dinner order James River oysters, Virginia Blue crab cake, Little Neck clams or wild-caught Atlantic salmon.
Rolling Stone magazine readers voted The NorVa as the number one ‘Venue That Rocks the Hardest’ in a poll ranking top live music spots in the United States – stop by after dinner and check out who’s on stage that night. For something a little more low-key, walk over to Gershwin’s, a 1930s-themed bistro, and listen to a pianist play American classics.
Head over to the historic Ghent district of Norfolk and grab a bagel at Yorgo’s, a neighborhood deli serving classic, New York-style kosher bagels. Spend the rest of the morning and early afternoon antiquing at Micheal Millard-Lowe antiques, Three Swallows Imports, Ghent Antiques and Table 7. Break for lunch at Pendulum and order the melt-in-your-mouth brisket sandwich. Recently featured on the Food Network, Pendulum’s brisket is served open-faced style, and is piled high with slow-cooked meat, caramelized onions, pickles with mustard & BBQ sauce on the side. After lunch, head over to Doumar’s for ice cream. Abe Doumar created the world’s first waffle cone at the 1904 World’s Fair in St. Louis, and the original recipe is still used today!
Call ahead to reserve a spot aboard the American Rover. Sail across the Elizabeth River on a three-masted ship, modeled after the cargo schooners that once sailed the Chesapeake Bay. Enjoy a narrated, two-hour harbor cruise and sail past private shipyards, the Battleship Wisconsin, the Naval Medical Hospital in Portsmouth and more. Or, if you’d like to learn more about Norfolk’s naval history, board the Victory Rover for a two-hour narrated cruise where you’ll see destroyers, frigates, nuclear submarines and aircraft carriers at Naval Station Norfolk, the world’s largest naval base.
For decades Todd Jurich’s Bistro has been the go-to for those in search of creatively prepared, five-star cuisine. Menu favorites include truffle ravioli, pan seared lump crab cakes and hand harvested oysters from the Eastern Shore of Virginia. After dinner, head back to Ghent and sip on a glass of The Siren’s White at Virginia’s first and only urban winery, Mermaid Winery. Norfolk is known for its brewery scene, so be sure to make stops at Smartmouth Brewing Company, O’Connor Brewing Company, Coelacanth Brewery and others. The uber-hip Birch Bar serves craft European beer, cider and cheese, while Press 626 Café & Wine Bar boasts one of the world’s best wine lists, according to Wine Spectator magazine.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.