In the mood for a white-knuckle adventure? Your heart won’t stop racing in Moab, Utah – an outdoor adventurer’s paradise.
A caravan of Jeeps cautiously works it way through the trails on Seven Mile Rim. A pair of little dots descend from high above: skydivers. Cross-chatter buzzes on walkie talkies. Rafts cruise down the nearby Colorado River. Hordes of hikers trek through Arches National Park to take in the breathtaking views and heights.
Just an average day in Moab, Utah.
The 4.1-square-mile southwest town, with a population of less than 5,500, is situated between Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park with Dead Horse Point State Park and the La Sal Mountains nearby. Because of its proximity to these geological marvels, the list of outdoor activities is seemingly endless: four-wheeling, mountain biking, BASE jumping, river rafting, hiking, rock climbing, skydiving, canyoneering, ballooning, you name it.
Moab is truly an outdoor adventurer’s paradise, and it’s for this reason it features centrally on our thrilling eight-day adventure through Utah and Colorado.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“There are about a zillion things to do out here if you like the outdoors,” said Richard Rootes, a veteran river guide for Canyon Voyages Adventure Co. “It’s nature’s playground. If you love the outdoors, it’s the center of the universe.
“We get 3.5 million people coming here a year from all over the world to see this area. The pleasure for us is we get to live here. Our saying is, ‘My job is better than your vacation.’”
Incorporated in 1902, Moab saw a population boom in the 1950s after the discovery of uranium and becoming known as the “Uranium Capital of the World”. Mining and uranium eventually cooled off and tourism became a major source of the local economy beginning in the 1970s.
The gorgeous national parks and red rocks were highlighted as settings in many Western films. Seeing the scenery in movies and the breathtaking photos in magazines led to an influx of visitors who wanted to experience it for themselves.
“You drive through Moab and you think it’s a sleepy little town, but you get five miles outside of town and the scenery is incredible,” said Jeremy Rowan, co-owner of Outlaw Jeep Tours. “Everywhere you look is just another incredible view. We’re just lucky to be in an area—such a small area—that has so much to offer.”
Not surprisingly, Moab is home to some of the most iconic mountain biking and four-wheeling trails. Slickrock Bike Trail is a world-famous trail located in the Sand Flats Recreation Area. Hell’s Revenge is at the top of many four-wheelers’ list of best trails.
The environment and challenges vary depending on location and trail—there’s slick rock, sand dunes, petrified sandstone and more.
“There’s just so many things to do,” Outlaw Jeep Tours co-owner Heidi Rowan said. “It’s heaven on earth here.”
Let us handle the details and join our eight-day Utah-Colorado trip led by a local insider. You’ll be fast-tracked to all the natural wonders of the region – over land and water – with a small group of equally adventurous travelers seeking their next big thrill.
*This article was originally written in partnership with Cooper Tires, who provided travel and accommodation in Moab, Utah.
For options on where to stay, discover our guide on the best hotels in Moab and book now on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.