Home of the annual Sundance Film Festival and three world-class ski resorts, Park City, Utah has a lot to sing about. Every winter, its population triples as ski bunnies and snow junkies travel from all over the world to play in the ‘Greatest Snow on Earth.’ Despite the funky alcohol laws and notoriously conservative reputation of Utah, Park City is a gem of a destination for the fun loving. Whether it’s an après ski vibe, an off-season festival or a hip nightclub scene you’re after, there’s a beat and a buzz for every audience of music lovers year-round.
Music from the Mountain
Mountain Town Music is a non-profit organization and the real ring leader of community music events. These folks work very hard to bring the cultural experience of Park City to a higher harmonic. Offering over 200 community programs each year ensures there’s no bad time for a music lover to visit Park City. The best part? Most Mountain Town events are free and for all ages.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Canyons Concert Series
On Saturday evenings, don’t miss outdoor concerts above the ski beach at Canyons resort. The concert series runs when the chair lifts stop. From February through April, locals and tourists love taking off their boots after the last run and settling around the outdoor stage with a cold beer or a warm hot chocolate. The music varies widely — from reggae to underground hip hop, bluegrass to local jam band — and the weekly event has grown a huge gathering since its inception.
If you don’t come down from the slopes to catch music here, beware the winter traffic. Take the free bus to Canyons, which drops you off at the main parking lot tram for convenient access to the mountain.
Canyons Village, 4000 Canyons Resort Dr. Park City, UT, USA, +1 800 222 PARK
Deer Valley Concert Series
Many locals admit that summertime is the best season in Park City. If you ask them why, you’re almost guaranteed to get a response that includes mentioning the Deer Valley Concert Series.
Mountain bike season means music season at Deer Valley. Beginning in June, Wednesday afternoons draw Park City people in mass migration to the Snow Park Amphitheater. Bring a picnic basket, cheap wine and portable chairs and settle in along the grassy slopes that surround the outdoor stage. Expect the unexpected from this musical experience. You can consult the calendar for headliners, or you can do as the locals do and just show up because it’s Wednesday. More good news for music lovers? The shows are free.
The amphitheater is also home to the Utah Symphony and Opera Music Festival during the wintertime.
Deer Valley, 2250 Deer Valley Drive S., Park CIty UT, USA, +1 435 649 1000
Park City Live
If you’re looking for big names and high volume, don’t miss checking the schedule at Park City Live on Main Street. Centrally located in the heart of Old Town, this is the hub for live music, dancing and nightlife entertainment. Along with year-round shows, this venue is a host of history itself. It was originally a War Veterans Memorial building with over 50 rooms, a gymnasium and a basement. The space has undergone many facelifts since the early 1900s but retains impressive architecture lending to awesome audio and visual effects.
Along with highly anticipated concerts year-round, Park City Live is the epicenter of the Sundance Film Festival where you can catch independent movies, in addition to a lineup of notable musical acts, in mid-January. Beware as the prices double or triple for shows during the ski-season and then skyrocket even higher during Sundance. Make sure to arrange tickets well in advance for any event.
Park City Live, 427 Main Street Park City, UT, USA, +1 435 649 9123
It is mining town meets modernity at The Spur Bar and Grill. If you want hot food, cold drinks, live music and late-night dancing, this is where you’ll find it — every day of the week. The crowd is middle-aged, the dress code casual luxury, but the attitude is warm. This is a great spot for music lovers on Sundays — stop in to see dueling pianos and sip cheap margaritas.
The Spur, 352 Main Street Park City, UT, USA, + 1 435 615 1618
Bistro 412 Bar
This place is like a mixtape — a charming French bistro by day and the indigenous DJ music scene by night. The bartenders are solid, and the late-night menu is one of the best in town. If you want soulful high energy, check out DJ Funkee Boss on Saturday nights. Last minute guests and random performances occur all the time here; it’s just a matter of asking around. Travelers in search of music and a real local vibe love the Bistro 412 scene for meeting new people.
Bistro 412, 412 Main Street Park City, UT, USA, +1 435 649 8211
Live theatre is a centerpiece of Park City culture. The Mary G. Steiner Egyptian Theatre is a landmark of musical theatre, comedy and community events. From classic to slightly irreverent, there’s a host of not-to-be-missed performances for every visitor — it’s guaranteed to delight.
Egyptian Theatre, 328 Main Street Park City, UT, USA, +1 435 649 9371
Riffs Acoustic Music Center is much more than an instrument store. Owner Larry Hart’s vision was to create a place where locals and visitors could share their appreciation for acoustic music. He turned that vision into a reality. Riffs is one of Utah’s finest hybrids — a retail shop, learning center, performance venue, yoga studio and café all in one. The comfortable instruction rooms and intimate performance space are designed for individual and group lessons, workshops and live events.
Riffs Acoustic Music Center, 1205 Iron Horse Drive Park City, UT, USA, +1 435 647 1940
Park City isn’t cheap, but its music culture is truly rich. Among the many places mentioned, there are many more. The key for music lovers seeking an authentic Park City experience is to check calendars and schedules and ask around. For much of what you’ll want while you’re here, you’re best bet is to hear about from its people.
By Courtney Capellan
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.