There is no doubt Houston is a great city, but sometimes getting out is nice. Day trips are a necessary luxury. Looking for a cozy winery? Shopping for unique antiques? Need to take a break from the hustle and bustle of the city and experience a piece of that #lakelife? Whatever the end goal, we’ve got you covered with our list of five favorite cities to check out north of Houston.
Tomball is a quiet community off Highway I-45. Tomball focuses on the finer things like Drive-In movies and antique shopping – the stretch along Main Street, off Market Road 2920, has the best antique shopping anywhere. Driving through what feels like an Old West town brings about a certain nostalgia and makes for a wonderful shopping experience. Whether looking for an antique vanity or to relive old-time charm, Tomball, TX, is a quick getaway worth checking out.Tomball, TX, USA
We’ve mentioned the The Woodlands before on The Culture Trip, because the place is pretty great. Not too far a drive from the city, The Woodlands has everything you need from shopping to dining along Market Street. Visitors looking to catch a favorite band will find that Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion is within walking distance. As far as weekend getaways go, The Woodlands is always a great choice. The Woodlands, TX, USA
Home to the The Texas Renaissance Festival, Magnolia is the ultimate weekend getaway. Be sure to catch the Festival from Oct. 10 through Nov. 29, 2015. Kids get in free on Sundays. Check online to see which weekends are themed. Magnolia, TX, USA
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
You may have missed The Historic Montgomery Wine and Music Festival this weekend; no worries, because this event will be back. In addition to hosting community festivals, Montgomery is home to many hometown treasures like The Cozy Grape Wine Bar and Bistro or Cork This! Winery. Whether you’re looking to enjoy a good meal or discover a new winery, Montgomery will be your favorite escape. Montgomery, TX, USA
Conroe is highly underrated. Not a far drive from Houston, and close to Montgomery, Conroe is the perfect getaway if you enjoy the water. While many local restaurants like Fajita Jacks offer something for everyone, the lake offers a type of meditation that is unmatched. Check out a timeshare, or spend the day along the shore. Conroe, TX, USA By Morgan CroninMorgan Cronin is a twentysomething who has lived in Houston most of her life. She received her BA in Journalism at the University of Oklahoma’s Gaylord College of Journalism and Mass Communication. She enjoys collecting passport stamps and is always looking for a good latte. Follow her on Twitter @Kwik_satik
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.