Don’t discount Katy! Just a few miles outside of the Houston city limits, it’s more than just an abundance of subdivisions. It also serves as home to several shops, eateries, parks, and entertainment complexes. Katy has the perfect mix of activities for those looking for a night out on the town or something a bit more laid back and family friendly. These top ten are sure to appeal to the masses.
Murder by Chocolate Mystery Theatre at Hasta la Pasta Italian Grill
Tired of dinner and movie nights? This interactive mystery dinner is sure to ignite all five senses. This theatre teamed up with Katy’s own Hasta la Pasta Italian Grill in 2015 to create a unique dinner experience that comes with dinner, dessert, non-alcoholic drinks and an eventful evening of an interactive mystery show for one price. After enjoying the night’s menu, it’s showtime! It’s up to the audience to not only solve the mystery but become part of the mystery. Make sure to join Hasta la Pasta’s email list for mystery theatre dates.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bowling, billiards, laser tag… the list goes on. Main Event, located off of the Katy Freeway in Katy, offers up fun for the entire family. The well-appointed space is open and inviting, and entertainment can literally be found in every corner of this complex. Hungry from all of the fun and games? Take a break and eat in the restaurant or grab a cold one from the bar. If birthday parties or other special events are on the horizon, this popular entertainment complex has it covered. Make sure to go online to book your next ‘main event.’
Main Event, 24401 Katy Fwy Katy, TX USA, +1 281-394-4800
Want to bring out your inner Picasso? Try your hand at Pinot’s Palette and produce a masterpiece while enjoying wine and great company. Artistically challenged? No worries! Art experience is not required, and all are welcome to partake in a colorful night of painting. The establishment is BYOB, so bring the snacks and wine, cocktails or beer, and Pinot’s will provide everything else needed to achieve artist status.
Pinot’s Palette, 2910 Commercial Blvd Suite 102, Katy, TX, USA +1 281.769.2961
Ceramics by Tess
This paint your own ceramics studio offers a unique blend of pottery for personal customization. Everything from bowls and platters to mugs and ornaments are available to choose from. If you’re looking for a more in-depth approach, specialty classes are offered a few times a month, which include working with clay and painting techniques.
Ceramics by Tess, 402 West Grand Pkwy S #115, Katy, TX, USA, +1 281-392-3161
Babaloo International Café & Bar
In the mood for tapas and drinks? Babaloo International Café & Bar offers up just that and more. The extensive and diverse menu caters to even the most discriminating taste buds. Since tapas are created for sharing, they are a crowd favorite among those out with a group of co-workers for happy hour or a Saturday out with the family. The live music every Friday and Saturday night and adds to the unique and exotic vibe it is known for.
La Centerra at Cinco Ranch
Nuzzled in the heart of Cinco Ranch, one of Katy’s master planned communitie,s is La Centerra, a 34-acre, 300,000 square foot development crawling with shops, eateries, and even business offices. Some of the shops include Kirklands, Jos. A. Bank, Soma, Perry’s Steakhouse & Grille, Kenzo Sushi Bistro, and the Sweet Boutique Bakery, just to name a few. Additionally, this family friendly hub includes an open lawn area for community gatherings, concerts, and festivals called ‘Central Green.’
The Cellar Door
The Cellar Door prides itself on being Katy’s first and only winery. All of their wines are produced onsite, with grapes sourced from the nation’s and world’s finest vineyards. Furthermore, what’s a fabulous bottle of wine without an equally fabulous personalized label? Local wine lovers can also enjoy wine tastings, live music in the lounge area on the weekends, or opt to host their own personal labeling party. Salud!
The Cellar Door, 829 S. Mason, Suite 280, Katy, TX, USA, +1 281-599-3303
Katy Mills Mall
Ready, set, shop! Katy Mills Mall is an enormous indoor outlet mall featuring stores such as Michael Kors, Kate Spade New York, Cole Haan, and Banana Republic. The list goes on, as this mall can literally take an entire day or more to peruse each and every store. In addition to its several shopping options, there is an AMC movie theatre, a Rainforest Café, nail salon, Segway Outback, and a Tilt Studio. A well-stocked food court helps patrons stay full and re-charged in between all of the shopping and entertainment.
Katy Mills Mall, 5000 Katy Mills Cir, Katy, TX, USA, +1 281-644-5015
Zen Hookah Lounge
Zen Hookah Lounge provides a relaxing atmosphere to experience one of the world’s ancient social activities. Its ‘zen’ approach allows customers to kick back, relax, and hookah. Bring a group of friends on the weekend, or put a twist on the typical afterwork happy hour, and the lounge also offers free Wi-Fi. The menu also allows customers to choose from a variety of flavors. Pick a flavor and hookah on!
Katy Contemporary Art Museum
This not-for profit institution is housed in a building claimed to be the first poured concrete building built in Texas. Located in downtown Katy, the museum boasts a growing membership that is eager to provide a platform for art education in the community. KCAM, as it is affectionally called, appeals to all ages. The variety of programs and events for kids and those 55+ helps to promote an improved quality of life and a greater respect for the arts as a whole.
Katy Contemporary Art Museum, 805 Avenue B, Katy, TX, USA, +1 832-857-1340
By Lea M. Summons
A Texas native, Lea Summons has had a passion for delicious food, chic fashion, and international travel since she can remember. She blogs about all things aesthetically pleasing on her blog aesthetic-Lea.com. Follow her on Twitter or LinkedIn.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.