If you’re in Austin to keep your eye on the ball, you’ll need a hotel close to the action. Book yours with Culture Trip, and it’s game on.
Austin in Texas is hip, yes, but some of its key attractions are timeless: Texans sure love football – so much so that they won’t be sated by the NFL. That explains the popularity of college football, which is followed statewide. Since 1924, the Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium on the campus of the University of Texas has been home to the Longhorns football team. For travelers coming into town to witness a game, here are the best places to stay near this historic stadium.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you don’t mind a slightly longer commute (say, 20 minutes), make the Domain, well, your domain. It’s North Austin’s pretty new development – similar in atmosphere to Brookfield Place NYC or Uptown Dallas – full of fashion, dining, nightlife, apartments and, of course, hotels. Archer Hotel Austin has a distinct Hill Country feel, mixing contemporary rooms with unserious local touches such as cowboy-hat-wearing rubber duckies and quirky slippers. The restaurant, Second Bar+ Kitchen, serves Southern fare faves like shrimp and grits.
Another Domain darling, Lone Star Court is a retro-ranch concept that channels Austin and the Hill Country. The colorful rooms feature beds with egyptian-cotton linens, sliding barn doors and snacks in antique bottle crates. Amenities have Austin’s year-round warm weather in mind: outdoor fire pits, live music and even a pool evocative of a local swimming hole. When the festivities have finished you, relax, and fill up at food trucks Aurora and Waffle Taste or at the Southern sit-down joint the Water Trough.
In a nutshell, Colton House Hotel is your chance to live like an Austinite. Here, you can choose from apartment-style suites in all shapes and sizes, such as studio, one-, two- or three-bedroom rooms. Deep sleep is guaranteed: all are furnished with luxury Serta king-size beds, fully equipped kitchens and washer-dryers. The three-bedroom suites have especially large dining and lounge areas – perfect places for hanging out after the game with your traveling party.
Consistently topping the-best-hotels-in-Austin lists, this branch of the Kimpton brand is a splendid place to stay downtown, just an eight-minute drive from the stadium. Thematically, it nods to the music scene (the city is hailed as the Live Music Capital of the World), with in-room record players and popular acoustic sets at onsite restaurant Geraldine’s. It’s off the notoriously wild Rainey Street, but don’t worry – sound-proof rooms ensure an undisturbed, restorative sleep.
ZaZa’s setting, in the heart of downtown, means dining and entertainment at your fingertips once the game’s over. It’s right by a slew of stellar haunts on 2nd Street, Republic Square Park, the Texas Capitol and much more. The hotel is sociable, too: filled with local regulars who love the Group Therapy restaurant overlooking the rooftop pool, and downstairs cafe Perfect Strangers.
Ask any Austin resident what comes to mind first when they think of the LINE Austin, and they’ll say tacos – there’s an outpost of Veracruz All Natural here, and those mouthfuls are the best things that’ll pass your lips on gameday. Scoffing aside, rooms are photogenically modern, full of rustic Texan charms such as artworks by local artists, light fixtures reminiscent of fireflies, and vintage books that’ll tell you all about the state. The hotel is a cool 10-minute drive to DKR.
Looking for somewhere different to stay? Book into one of the best spa hotels in Austin, or find out where to stay in the city for a local experience. Inspire your itinerary with the best outdoor activities in and around Austin, and hit the open road with this trip to San Antonio. Make sure you stop off for an incredible restaurant lunch before you go.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.