While Austin, Texas, is known as the Live Music Capital of the World, the city offers more entertainment than just music performances. The comedy clubs of Austin may not be the highlight of the nightlife, but they are a great place to catch some live theater or a stand-up comedy performance.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
The Hideout Theatre in Austin is well known for its improv productions. These productions are showcased Thursday-Sunday, featuring both independent performing groups and shows produced by The Hideout Theatre. This downtown club also offers several levels of improv classes for students from kids to adults during the week, as well as showcases for those who attend and want to show off their acting skills. The Hideout Theatre also hosts improv comedians and interactive shows for all ages. This comedy club is a great place for anyone who loves theatre, improv, and laughs.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Bar, American, $
This comedy club has been in the heart of Austin for over 35 years. Esther’s Follies began in 1977 when Michael Shelton leased a small bar on 6th Street, which quickly turned into a performance space for improvisational dance, comedy, and song. A stage was built with the back facing 6th Street, which gives the club its unique feature of interaction between the performers and the people passing by on the street outside. Today, Esther’s Follies performs political satire and parody from Washington, D.C. to Austin. With the music, comedy, and 6th Street interactions and distractions, Esther’s Follies is truly a one of a kind comedy experience.
Capitol City Comedy Club
Nightclub, American, Pub Grub, $
Located in Austin for nearly 30 years, the Capitol City Comedy Club is a very well known site for stand-up comedians. Several famous comedians such as Ellen Degeneres, Iliza Sleshinger, and Joe Rogan have stopped by to perform their comedy routines. Cap City is also home of the nationally known “Funniest Person in Austin” contest, which draws approximately 200 contestants, as well as talent scouts from comedy festivals and television networks. This club also offers a weekly comedy show called “PUNCH!” on Tuesdays and open mic night on Wednesdays. So whether you’re looking to try out your own routine or just listen to some great local and traveling comedians, Cap City Comedy Club is a great place for some laughs in Austin.
Formed in New Orleans in 2005, ColdTowne Theater came about after Hurricane Katrina sent eight of the original theater members to Austin, Texas. The members of the troupe come from backgrounds in journalism, business, and the arts, but they come together to perform sketches, improv and stand up in addition to blogging and screenwriting. The troupe has performed at Austin’s Hideout Theatre, Out of Bounds Improv Festival, Second City Theatre in Chicago, and New Orleans Comedy Conservatory. After winning several awards, the troupe of ColdTowne opened their own business in Austin, which now offers workshops and classes on improv and sketches, as well as different comedic performers, stand-up comedy, and sketches each night of the week. The ColdTowne Theater is a great place to take a class in improv or to just sit back and watch the variety of performances that are offered.
The Velveeta Room
Also known as “The Velv,” this comedy club on Austin’s famous 6th Street was opened in March 1988. After seeing the success of Esther’s Follies, Michael Shelton purchased the closed down Embassy Room with a plan to create a new comedy club that was unlike any of the others in Austin. Comics like Jana Williams, Vanessa Kaufman, and Brian Malow were just a few of the many to perform stand-up routines in the early days of The Velveeta Room. Every Thursday was open mic night for anyone who wanted to test out their comedy routines on a smaller crowd, and it was usually followed by dancing at The Steamboat, a live music venue down the street. Today, the club still offers open mic night, as well as a variety of performers and styles of comedy for anyone who wants to escape the hustle and bustle of 6th Street for some laughs.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.