San Antonio boasts a vibrant culture, resulting in unique food options, which is especially true for the city’s baked goods. You can find cream-filled macarons on one street, and just a few blocks down, you can get your fill of pan dulce. Here are some of the best places in San Antonio to curb your sweet tooth.
In the beautiful Alamo Heights neighborhood sits Bird Bakery, the most adorable bakery around. Everything is made from scratch on-site, with a new batch of treats every day, and anything leftover at the end of the day goes to local San Antonio non-profits. Anything you buy is guaranteed fresh, made with quality ingredients. Try their extremely moist award-winning carrot cupcake, their oatmeal cranberry walnut cookie, or the Mexican hot chocolate brownie. You can also enjoy the cozy setting with a cup of coffee or one of their homemade teas.
Bird Bakery, 5912 Broadway St, San Antonio, TX, USA, +1 210 804 2473
Bakery Lorraine, located in The Pearl, gained popularity quickly among locals since its opening in 2011. Besides its chic ambiance with fresh flowers on every table, it offers seasonal and fresh pastries that taste delicious. Creating endless sweets, consider trying their Parisian macarons – any flavor will do. They offer both vegetarian and gluten-free dessert options, so there’s truly something for everyone.
Bakery Lorraine, 306 Pearl Pkwy #110, San Antonio, TX, USA, +1 210 862 5582
The owners of La Panaderia, brothers Jose and David Caceres, created their brand after drawing inspiration from their mother’s bread making in their childhood home of Mexico. This bakery is a wonderful gem, lending generations of experience to the quality and taste of their baked goods. Try any of their pan dulce and conchas. You can also enjoy your treats with one of their delectable brewed lattes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
La Panaderia, 8305 Broadway St, San Antonio, TX, USA, +1 210 375 6746
For the cupcake addict in you, try Cupcake Couture. They have four locations throughout San Antonio, and each one offers the same sensational taste. They have great seasonal flavors like apple spice and the Big Red. They also have flavors dedicated to different events like the Confetti Cake with buttercream for a Sweet 16 celebration. Also try their carrot cupcake, Italian creme cupcake, and Neapolitan cupcake.
Established in the early 1960s, Bedoy’s Bakery stands strong with two locations in the city. They’re known for their traditional Mexican sweet bread and Roscas de Reyes, which is a pastry served during Dia de Reyes (Kings Day), honoring the arrival of The Three Wise Men. The tradition of Dia de Reyes is celebrated in many Spanish-speaking countries like Spain and Mexico, and with a large Hispanic community in San Antonio, this is a widely celebrated holiday among locals. Whether you celebrate it or not, Roscas de Reyes is still a fun and tasty treat to enjoy.
Bedoy’s Bakery, 803 W Hildebrand Ave, San Antonio, TX, USA, +1 210 436 2253
Romelia’s Bakery is a unique establishment in San Antonio. Forget regular old cupcakes, and try their famous ‘Treasure’ treats. At the base is a light meringue topped with cream cheese and fresh fruit. You can order berries, kiwis, bananas, or most any other type of fruit. Try the Mango Kiwi Treasure, Banana Caramel Treasure, or Green Apple Chocolate Treasure. You’ll find the taste is original and incredibly satisfying.
Romelia’s, 11255 Huebner Rd, San Antonio, TX, USA, +1 210 437 1073
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.