Hit up live-music venues and tour graffiti-studded sites on this insider-led journey through the tuned-in Texas capital, all bookable right here on Culture Trip.
As soon as you visit, you’ll understand why Austin is a haven for artistic souls. As well as world-class museums, galleries and live-music venues, there’s a marked spirit of creativity that simply sings through the air of this free-spirited city, known as the “Live Music Capital of the World.”
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“Austin’s unique neighborhoods are always providing me with fresh doses of inspiration,” says Mia Carameros, an Austin-based visual artist and designer. “When I need to get ideas, I like to just walk through the trail-laced Barton Creek Greenbelt, discover an installation at Pease Park or stop by the Stephen L Clark Gallery on West 6th. My goal this year is to visit and support more of Austin’s older cultural establishments like the ballet, the symphony and the opera, too.”
To help inspire your own brush with brilliance, we’ve curated three creative tours and combined them with one cultural hub of a hotel to help immerse you in Austin’s artistic energy.
Where to Stay: the Hotel…
This glitzy high-rise hotel in the heart of downtown Austin has rock’n’roll swagger in spades – there are gilded accents in every room, epic skyline views from floor-to-ceiling windows and a see-and-be-seen rooftop pool scene. We think any Grammy-winning diva would approve of the sprawling spa, with its soaking pools, saunas and solariums (try the two-hour Texas Hill Country Awakening treatment to banish that honky-tonk hangover). The Fairmont also prides itself on being plugged into the city’s thriving arts scene. It has live music most nights in one of its five restaurants and bars, unique artworks by local artists on the walls and exciting culinary pop-ups in the event spaces.
What to Do: the Experiences…
Head to the historic Continental Club, boogie to bluegrass at Radio Coffee and Beer, or mosy over to the “Mystery Monday” concert at El Mercado on this foot-stomping tour of Austin’s legendary music venues. Your tour guide, Will, is the ultimate insider – an award-winning local musician who’s recorded with the likes of Willie Nelson and Gary Clark Jr. He might even serenade you with a song or two himself.
Sharpen your eye and capture Austin’s best angles with help from veteran photographer Mack McPhedrain on this downtown photography tour. Mack will take you to the best locations for snapping vibrant stills of the city’s scenery (he’s also a history buff, so expect a sprinkling of local lore, too). The tour starts and ends at the Texas State Capitol building, so you’ll have plenty of opportunities to snap photos of this architectural wonder and its acres of lush grounds.
Mosaics, murals, street art, graffiti – the streets of Austin are a living open-air gallery, but not the kind that ever makes it into the guidebooks. On this colorful walking tour through East Austin, you’ll see the city’s weirdest, wackiest and most beloved street art (including works by world-famous artists Blek le Rat, JonOne and Meres One), get plenty of photo ops and uncover the nooks and crannies of the neighborhood that residents themselves often miss.
Searching for more accommodation options in the Texas capital? Check out the best hotels in Austin, and book now with Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.