Only in Texas will you find deep-fried Froot Loops, a funnel-cake burger, or deep-fried chicken soup on a stick.
The massive gathering known as the State Fair of Texas opened in Dallas this past weekend; it runs through October 22. More than two million people are expected to attend this year, and if you’ll be one of them, you’ll find a whole lot of foods there that you almost certainly won’t ever see anywhere else—and most of them are deep-fried.
Vendors have the opportunity to enter their new food offerings into a contest to choose the tastiest and most creative foods at the fair. We’ve rounded up a dozen of our favorite finalists and semifinalists. Yee-haw!
Deep Fried Chicken Noodle Soup on a Stick
Created by Sherry & Chris Howard
The flavors of chicken noodle soup, fried and served on a stick. They’re accompanied by a broth sauce for dipping, plus a side of crackers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Deep Fried Froot Loops
Created by Gracie & Milton Whitley
The classic cereal is surrounded by whipped marshmallow, battered and fried, and topped with powdered sugar. Pretty sweet!
Funnel Cake Bacon Queso Burger
Created by Tom Grace & Edna Sutton
The winner of the awards for both Most Creative and Best Taste: Savory, this burger features buns made of funnel cakes, with a beef patty, bacon, and creamy queso.
Gulf Coast Fish Bowl
Created by Clint Probst
This quaffable aquarium is filled with Nerds candy and Swedish Fish swimming in a Blue Curacao-based boozy drink, and capped with a pineapple slice. It was crowned winner of the Best Taste: Sweet category.
Surfin’ Turfin’ Tator Boat
Created by Melissa & David Harrison
A baked potato is stuffed with lobster and grilled steak, and topped with cheddar and romano cheeses. A single lobster claw tops off this treat.
Pinot Noir Popcorn
Created by The Parish Family
Kettle Corn is dusted with a pinot noir wine-flavored powder, and mixed with cheddar cheese-flavored popcorn for a savory flavor pairing.
Fernie’s Fried Texas Sheet Cake
Created by Winter Family Concessions
Not your average brownie, this chocolate cake is covered in ground Cocoa Puffs, panko, and cinnamon sugar, and then fried and glazed with a Dr. Pepper-based icing and served with pecans, whipped cream, and a rose-shaped strawberry.
The Tamale Donut
Created by Justin Martinez
Slow-cooked pork carnitas blended with masa and hand-shaped into a donut form, fried until crispy on the outside, and finished with jalapeño salsa.
Created by Tami Nevins-Mayes
Three mini cream puffs, coated in a Café Du Monde beignet batter and fried, then drizzled with chocolate and caramel sauces.
Texas Fajita Fries
Created by Nick Bert
Breaded and deep-fried beef fajita strips are seasoned with a Sriracha spice mix and served in a bread cone, on a bed of fried onions and jalapeños, with sides of guacamole-sour cream hot sauce and pico de gallo.
Created by Barrera’s
We don’t actually have further details on this one, so let’s all use our imaginations as to what exactly this is. Oreo-infused stout? Beer actually brewed with Oreos? We’re so confused…and intrigued.
Beer-Battered Beef Jerky
Created by Crazy Otto’s
The name pretty much says it all. Beef jerky, beer-battered and fried.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.