This small slice of Germany in Texas Hill County serves up heritage inns and fairytale B&Bs straight out of Deutschland. Here are the best places to stay in (or near) Fredericksburg – all bookable on Culture Trip.
Of German heritage yet decidedly Texan, Fredericksburg is one of the most unique towns in the heart of the Lone Star State. From wineries and museums to fantastic German restaurants and boutique shops, this is one Texan town that screams out for a long weekend. Thankfully, the best hotels in Fredericksburg aren’t only homey and comfy, they come with all the luxurious perks you need once you’ve done your sightseeing for the day.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Inn on Barons Creek overlooks downtown Fredericksburg – sit and sip your morning coffee, plan your shopping routes, then spend the afternoon at the Barons Creek winery. On your return, make a beeline to the spa. Each morning, after you wake (ideally in one of the rustic Creekside rooms) there’s a complimentary full breakfast of American favorites, including biscuits and gravy. Or walk into Fredericksburg for great German food.
The Lodge Above Town Creek is full of surprises, including the wine concierge service and the chef-curated breakfast baskets. Between drinks and meals, head to the fountain pool and outdoor fireplace for a mountain-lodge vibe with Texas-size charm. You might like one of the six poolside suites, but why not pick a larger one with a deep jacuzzi tub that’s all yours? Make sure you pre-order a bottle of wine prior to your stay so you can keep that all to yourself as well.
Enjoy the perks of a major hotel with the comfort and charm of a B&B at Fredericksburg Inn & Suites, a five-minute trot from downtown. You can’t fault the good-looking pale and stylish bedrooms – available with either one king bed or two queen beds. This place is relaxation central, with a huge hot tub, two pools, a cozy firepit, and scenic picnic areas – and the 5 acres (2ha) of lush surrounds enhance the sense of privacy.
A magical German fairytale retreat in the middle of Texas Wine Country? Ja, bitte! Just 10 minutes beyond Fredericksburg, this B&B comes right from a storybook. There are just two cottages, both with fireplaces, quaint gardens, full kitchens, and lashings of European charm. You’ll receive a hearty German breakfast each morning; while at night you’ll love winding down with a glass or two from one of 15 surrounding wineries – you definitely won’t be able to pronounce the hotel name after.
A romantic getaway only minutes from the Main Street of Fredericksburg, Barons CreekSide features alpine-inspired log cabins on a 26-acre (11ha) vineyard, the perfect place to lay your head for a few nights. Their eclectic Club Bistro is the best place to view the sunset as you sip your way through boutique-style wines, listening to live music. You can even follow nature hikes and fish without leaving the property. Our favorite pastime? Fixing up in a hammock by the creek and watching the clouds roll by.
TimberRose B&B combines old-world charm with luxe amenities to create luxury on a working ranch. Ducks, dogs, donkeys, cattle, and cats all call these 50 acres (20ha) home – so don’t be surprised if you make a few new friends as you tour the barn or stargaze from your hot tub. There are only three accommodation options on the ranch – the Barnhouse, with its vintage feel; the lil’ Stone Cottage, with its clawfoot tub; and the Grapetown Gasthaus, with its heirloom metal chair – so you’ll always have an intimate stay even when the ranch is full.
Is there anything better than keeping cool with a refreshing outdoor shower under the Texas sun? How about sitting under the stars in a hot tub listening to deer, turkeys, and rabbits rustle past? At Breezy Hill Cottages you don’t need to decide – it comes with both in a trad-rustic country setting. Their cottages are a little way beyond Fredericksburg, so you’ll enjoy top-quality downtime without the energetic feel of staying directly in town.
Fredericksburg is a unique town, so Hampton Inn & Suites won’t take it personally if you spend most of your trip exploring or visiting wineries. The goal here is to make your stay as convenient as possible – that’s why they offer free breakfast and an outdoor pool for those afternoons when you just want to relax. Should you want to stretch your legs, you can easily walk to the Japanese Garden of Peace and National Museum of the Pacific War, for afternoons of calm contemplation.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.