On this all-American adventure through the Texas state capital, you’ll taste-test the city’s taprooms, brunch spots and secret speakeasies – and you can book the whole experience, including your hotel, with Culture Trip.
Thanks to the city’s maverick spirit, swirl of cultural influences and collaborative atmosphere, Austin has, deservedly, become known as one of America’s greatest food cities. Of course, as it’s the state capital, carnivores will be in barbecue heaven, but there’s more to the city than just brisket.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
“The best way to experience Austin and support local businesses is to visit the food trucks that dot the city’s landscape,” says Barclay Stratton, local chef and owner of Brucie, an Austin food truck inspired by Australian cafe culture. “They will lead you to different parts of town, offer cuisines from various parts of the world, and will absolutely exceed your expectations of what can come out of a tiny truck.”
To help in your quest to hunt down Austin’s most daring dishes and thrilling tipples, we’ve tracked down three tours and paired them up with one legendary hotel to fully immerse you in the city’s food scene and craft-beer culture, all bookable right here on Culture Trip.
Where to Stay: the Hotel
Sleep in a living monument to the Lone Star State’s history at the Driskill, a downtown grande-dame built in 1886 by a wealthy cattle baron. You’ll be floored by the grandeur as soon as you walk in – the stately lobby is all marble columns, stained glass and gilded oil portraits. And thanks to cowhide barstools in the Driskill Bar, longhorns on the wall and cattle-branding irons built into some of the bedframes, you’ll never forget you’re in Texas. From its central Sixth Street location, you’ll be within easy walking distance of Austin’s buzziest restaurants and live-music venues. However, you can experience some of the city’s best dining without going anywhere at all. The Driskill Grill offers a selection of dry-aged steaks from nearby ranches, while the 1886 Café and Bakery serves classic comfort food dishes such as the Hangover Burger and hot fried chicken.
What to Do: the Experiences
This tour will take you outside Austin to the scenic city of Dripping Springs in the Texas Hill Country to visit a family-owned, organic, olive-oil farm. Enjoy fresh breezes and bucolic scenery as you stroll through the orchard, learn about planting and harvesting and even meet a few chickens before sampling its award-winning, extra-virgin olive oils and balsamic vinegars in the tasting room. Before heading home, walk around the on-site boutique to shop its curated range of infused oils, beauty products and homeware.
All aboard the brunch bus – this BYOB ride combines a whistle-stop tour of Austin’s best brunch spots with a concert on wheels. It’ll take you to visit three eateries for breakfast tacos, Czech kolaches (pastries) and chicken and waffles (with a boozy beverage included at each stop), all adding up to one very satisfying mega-brunch. While en route, groove to the sounds of live music from talented local musicians.
A brew with a view – that’s what you get on this pedicab tour of three of Austin’s top microbreweries: Lazarus Brewing, Hops & Grain, and Zilker Brewing. Your guide will do the pedaling from one brewery to the next while you sit back and enjoy your beers under the sun. You can pay as you go or opt for the all-inclusive beer flight to make sure you don’t miss a sip. And if you get peckish along the way, fret not – there’ll be some tasty snacks at the breweries to pair with your fresh-from-the-keg craft beers.
With all that food, you’ll need somewhere to crash. Book your stay at one of the best hotels in Austin, Texas, with Culture Trip, and let the feast begin.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.