The largest and most popular cities in Texas – think Austin, San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas – all remain well-known for their unique attributes. But this large state is also home to many other excellent cities that often go overlooked.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Marfa is the unassuming art mecca of Texas. With the opening of The Chinati Foundation came art displays from renowned artists from all over the world. Most recently they installed Robert Irwin’s only permanent, freestanding art structure, a piece that plays with space and light. The town is also known for what they call the ‘Marfa Lights,’ mysterious lights with no definite explanation as to where they might come from.
Galveston is a beach town on a budget, with plenty of resorts, bed and breakfasts, and rental homes on or near the water for an affordable fare. Spend the day at Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier or enjoy a hike at Galveston Island State Park, where you can end the day with a dip in one of the parks beaches.
USA Today ranked the charming beach town of Rockport number 5 in Best Coastal Small Towns in the country. Rockport is a quaint city known for peaceful beaches, fishing, the arts, and historic buildings. Whether you’re a Texas resident or not this is a great place to escape for a relaxing vacation.
For a step back in time to Old West Texas, visit Amarillo. Here you can find Western art and artifacts at the Panhandle-Plains Historical Museum – you may even see actual cowboys roaming around town. Consider heading a bit outside the city to leave your mark on the public art instillation, Cadillac Ranch.
Just 20 minutes outside of San Antonio is the cute Hill Country town of Boerne. Take a stroll through the city and visit some of the local shops or explore the Cibolo Nature Center where you can find four different eco systems in one concentrated area.
Gruene is home to winerys, antique shops, and the oldest dance hall in Texas. The city belongs to the National Register of Historic Places, so you can expect to find beautiful old buildings that have been well-maintained over the years. It’s especially nice to visit during a festival, like their popular Gruene Music & Wine Fest.
The historic town of Jefferson is oozing with charm. You’ll feel at home in this welcoming, quiet city, which offers many bed and breakfasts and local places to eat. You can take a historic tour of the town by horse and carriage or embark on a ghost walk and learn about Jefferson’s intriguing history.
Wimberley is the spot for art lovers and adventure seekers. They hold art festivals and plays through out the year, attracting creative people from all over, and there’s also one of Texas’ most beautiful swimming holes in Wimberley – Blue Hole – which is complete with a working rope swing. Enjoy the greenery by ziplining through the cypress trees, or rev through town with one of the motorcycle clubs that frequently use the city as a destination spot.
Just South of Amarillo is Canyon, a town that is most well-known for Palo Duro Canyon State Park. The park holds the second largest canyon in the country where you can bike, hike, or explore terrain on horseback. You can also experience one of the most extraordinary musicals in a carved-out amphitheater amongst the Canyons. During the summer nights, Texas Outdoor Musical puts on an extremely entertaining performance for all the visitors.
Walk the streets of downtown Fredricksburg and splurge at some local antique shops or enjoy a meal at any of the historic restaurants serving authentic German dishes. Try fresh peaches at Das Peach Haus or hike Enchanted Rock for one of the best views of the Texas Hill Country.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.