Memphis unfolds as a city of revelations, where well-known delights like its mouthwatering BBQ and soulful blues music intersect with hidden gems that are a delight to discover. While its reputation as a haven for delectable BBQ and a vibrant blues music scene is widely celebrated, Memphis holds a unique distinction that often eludes the limelight: its water has been acclaimed as the “sweetest water in the world.”
Amidst the echoes of live music and the tantalizing aroma of smoked ribs, there flows a natural wonder that enriches the city’s character. Memphis’ sweet water, drawn from the mighty Mississippi River, carries a legacy that goes beyond mere refreshment. It’s a reminder of the interconnectedness of nature and human experience, a gentle reminder that even amidst the city’s dynamic energy, the rhythms of the natural world play their harmonious tune.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
As you traverse the vibrant streets of Memphis, remember that this city’s allure extends beyond its culinary and musical offerings. It flows through every faucet, a testament to the intricate balance of nature that accompanies the city’s cultural tapestry. Delve into the depths of Memphis, uncovering its sweet secrets and exploring the remarkable blend of flavor, melody, and life that defines this enchanting metropolis. Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
The water supply in Memphis comes from natural reservoirs hundreds of feet below the Earth’s surface. Most of the water lies in sand aquifers that sit between layers of clay. The sand acts as a natural filter, slowly removing many of the water’s impurities. The water is so pure when it comes from the wells that it only has to be aerated to eliminate iron and dissolved gasses. It is then filtered and submitted to chlorination and fluoridation, which is required by law for public drinking water. Because the layers of clay protect it, groundwater from Memphis is ideal for industrial use where clean water usage is very important.
The Environmental Protection Agency and the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation have developed standards for contaminant levels in drinking water. And while all water contains at least small levels of contaminants, Memphis water has particularly low levels of fluoride, nitrate, lead, and copper. In fact, in a Memphis Light Gas & Water 2015 Report, it is noted that “There isn’t any detectable lead in Memphis’ source water.”
The Tennessee Brewing Company began using Memphis’ soft water to brew beer in 1885. In order to tap into these water sources, the very first artesian well in Memphis was drilled in 1887.
Currently, Memphis has four local breweries that all use the water as the base for their craft brews—Memphis Made Brewing Co., High Cotton Brewing Co., Wiseacre Brewing Co., and Ghost River Brewing Co. The latter, named after a section of the Wolf River that serves as an entrance to the Memphis Aquifer, was the first brewery in Memphis since Prohibition.
There are four sand aquifers under Shelby County: the Memphis Aquifer, Fort Pillow Sand Aquifer, the 2500 Foot Aquifer, and the Coffee Sand Aquifer. Today, Memphis Light Gas & Water is responsible for pumping the water from more than 175 wells throughout Shelby County, making it one of the most extensive artesian well systems in the world.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.