This Southern belle has natural beauty in abundance, with nearby sites such as Lookout Mountain and Ruby Falls providing its Scenic City nickname. But its vibrant art scene, delicious Appalachian fusion cuisine, and laid-back leisure spots along the riverfront are just as engaging and inspiring. Book a night in one of these stylish boutique hotels in Chattanooga and open your eyes to an urban oasis in Southern Tennessee.
The 16 unique bedrooms at the Dwell are so exquisitely decorated that choosing yours isn’t easy. Whether it’s the banana-yellow 1960s armchairs in the Tropicana Room, the brass, burnt orange, and moss tones of the Autumn Room, or the bonkers black-and-white wallpaper in the Convex, each is a work of art in its own right. When you can tear yourself away, there’s an exceptional restaurant and slinky cocktail bar downstairs.
Gatsby-level glitz and glamor waltz gracefully with contemporary comforts at the Read House. This historic hotel brilliantly resurrects the grandeur of a bygone era – from dazzling dining at Bridgeman’s Chophouse to the Bugsy Malone-style billiard room, where Sazeracs always accompany a game of pool. Talking of resurrections, there’s even a chance you might run into resident specter Annalisa Netherly, especially if you’ve had too many spirits at the bar.
Flat-screen TVs mounted in standup easels; portable record players on dark wood sideboards; ornate antique mirrors on the wall – it’s clear from the decor of the rooms that the arty Edwin Hotel likes to do things a bit differently. A curated collection of artwork by local artists lines the public spaces – an appetizer for exploring the Bluff View Arts District, right on your doorstep. Alternatively, stay in and treat yourself to a whiskey-infused sugar scrub treatment at the Ama spa.
Anywhere that greets you with a cocktail upon checkin – the front desk doubles as a bar – gets the thumbs-up in our books. And that’s not to mention the flickering fireplace in the lobby, encircled by squishy sofas and armchairs, or the 24/7 Pickups snack bar, stocked with locally sourced donuts, bagels, and fresh coffee. As for the rooms? Think Scandi-style simplicity, with bare woods, black metals, and colorful rugs.
The Chattanoogan is more than a place to stay – it does a crash course in living like a local. This hip Southside hotel is within walking distance of Finley Stadium and AT&T Field, should you want to root on the Lookouts or Chattanooga FC. Views of Lookout Mountain will spoil you in the king suite, but not as much as a full body scrub in the spa. Now that you’re looking and feeling good, go dine on a mix of Southern and Appalachian cuisine at the High Rail rooftop bar.
Just north of Chattanooga city center, the pet-friendly Hotel Indigo is a great spot to start a nice walk. Drop your bags in your premium suite and freshen up in the spa-like bathroom while Rover finishes their own cleaning routine. Strap on a long leash and admire the art along the hotel’s walls on your way out. Within minutes, you and your pup will be strolling the riverfront, inhaling the fresh air before lapping up a drink at Hair of the Dog pub on your way home.
Of the many amazing boutique hotels, the Chattanooga Choo Choo takes the prize for the most distinctive. This century-old rail station is your ticket to an unforgettable Chattanooga experience. Hop aboard a historic train-car room fitted with modern amenities including a mini-fridge, wifi, and a work desk. Though there’s no dining car per se, the Frothy Monkey is always ready to serve up locally-sourced meals, ice-cold local brews, and all the locomotion you can handle.
Whether you’re looking to stay somewhere on a budget or relax in one of the best luxury hotels in Tennessee – now bookable via Culture Trip – Chattanooga has you covered. Spend your day exploring natural wonders, including the vast parks and great lakes in the area, then discover Memphis’ thriving nightlife for a true Southern experience.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.