Named after the dead trees found in the county’s gulch, Deadwood is in the scenic Black Hills area of South Dakota. This locale offers nothing short of an all-American food and dining experience. Here are our top 10 finds.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Saloon No. 10
Bar, Restaurant, American, $
Saloon No. 10 is a landmark in Deadwood, serving steak, pasta, and offering an expansive wine list. The most important event in Deadwood history was a poker game held in Saloon No. 10 on August 2, 1876, where Jack McCall shot Wild Bill Hickok in the back of the head. The restaurant atmosphere is filled with historical Western and mining camp artifacts, spanning more than 100 years. From the menu, we recommend the wild boar nachos, buffalo ravioli and the burger.
Diner, Restaurant, American, Vegetarian
Located in the Black Hills of South Dakota, the Deadwood Grille offers patrons breakfast, lunch and dinner crafted by their contemporary chef, set in a fine dining atmosphere. The grill serves gourmet cuisine accompanied by private label wines. The restaurant is also a ‘people’s favorite’ as it was voted ‘Best Restaurant’. It was also commended for having the best customer service in the Black Hills area. From the menu, try the cinnamon roll, macadamia crusted halibut, and honey chipotle ribeye.
Restaurant, American, $$
Kevin Costner fell in love with South Dakota while filming his Academy Award-winning film, Dances with Wolves, and opened Jake’s – a fine dining Italian outpost above a gun-slinging saloon. Polished brass and etched glass are emblems in the restaurant; meanwhile gaming goes on downstairs in Kostner’s Midnight Star saloon. From the menu, try the Water World trout burger and Alex Marshall’s Reuben.
Bar, American, $
Mustang Sally’s offers indoor and outdoor dining on Main Street with a lively sports bar and grill. Rumored to have the best burgers in town, Mustang Sally’s is a prime place to grab a burger, play the slot machines, and watch sports games all at once. It’s open late into the night and is a great spot for people watching. Order a burger and beer here.
Pump House Coffee & Deli
Deli, Coffee Shop, Coffee
Pump House Coffee & Deli is part of the Mind Blown Art Studio, which sits on a retro Texaco station housing a glass-blowing studio. Live music is offered every Friday and Saturday night. Meanwhile a summertime patio allows guests to sit outside and enjoy the music on beautiful Black Hills summer evenings. Order the muffler for breakfast and the junk yard dog for lunch.
Gem Steakhouse & Saloon
Restaurant, Steakhouse, $
Set inside Deadwood’s newest casino, the Mineral Palace Hotel, Gem Steakhouse & Saloon is sure to satisfy any meat-lover’s tastebuds. Serving food named after the historic town’s Wild West characters, the place has an atmosphere as inviting as the menu. Say yes to the eight-ounce hand-cut sirloin steak accompanied by a Cabernet from the restaurant’s wine list.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.