Deep canyons and sandstone spires make up the Badlands National Park, a home to stampeding buffalo not far from Mount Rushmore. Book one of these top hotels while visiting this South Dakota hotspot.
Badlands National Park offers 65 million years of geological history, as well as 244,000 acres (99,000ha) of protected wilderness and prairie grassland. It’s a natural playground for hikers and fossil hunters, and a great place to learn more about Native American folklore from local Lakota people. We’ve selected the best hotels near the park to book now with Culture Trip, many of which are close to the buzz of Rapid City.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Green credentials bring this hotel bang up-to-date, with eco-luxury bedding, on-site electric car charging stations and bicycle rental. Comfortable, contemporary rooms – complete with Mount Rushmore murals – make this hotel one of the best places to stay in Rapid City, just an hour’s drive from Badlands National Park. You’re also perfectly placed for seeing the stone faces of those four major US presidents, 24mi (39km) in the other direction.
This hotel offers comfort and quiet on the fringes of Badlands National Park. The on-site restaurant, the Gold Bison Grill, delivers a menu of locally sourced produce. The Bison Short Ribs are a must-try, along with the 1/2lb Buffalo burger, served on Texas toast with grilled onions, sautéed mushrooms, gooey cheese and Applewood smoked bacon. Work it off in the light and airy gym or indoor pool. Mount Rushmore and the Crazy Horse Memorial monument are among the nearby attractions.
Part of the Hilton Curio Collection, this hotel in downtown Rapid City has hosted guests since 1928. While the interior combines old-world charm with handcrafted Native American art, it’s home to a slew of modern amenities including an Irish pub, Starbucks and a spa. Mount Rushmore is a 25-minute drive away, while Badlands National Park takes an hour. Finish your day on the rooftop Vertex Sky Bar with a vodka-based Cherry Poppin’ Fizz – it’s a great spot to watch the sunset over Rapid City.
Expect a warm welcome from a band of smiley and efficient staff who set the tone for a comfy and value-for-money stay. The hotel is located next to Badlands National Park and close to Crazy Horse Memorial, Mount Rushmore and downtown Rapid City. A hot breakfast is included, the hotel is smoke-free and pet-friendly, and guests get a free newspaper each day. Don’t forget to have a dip in the indoor pool or work up a sweat in the fully equipped gym.
A friendly bolthole, this property is located between the Black Hills and the Badlands in Rapid City. Rooms are light-filled with plenty of space – upgrade for a corner whirlpool tub by the bed. Other highlights include a large indoor swimming pool with two hot tubs on the side and a 100ft (30m) coiled water slide, ideal for kids. Complimentary cookies and coffee are a welcome touch, while pets are as welcome as their owners.
Badlands National Park is just a nine-minute drive from this clean, pared-back motel in Wall. Rooms here range from a standard double with two beds to suites with three queens – it’s the perfect place for families or groups to rest their heads in between hiking, wildlife-watching or sightseeing. Kick back by the outdoor pool afterwards or soak your tired limbs in the hot tub. A continental breakfast is included – think waffles, pastries, cereal, fresh fruit and yogurt – and bottomless coffee.
This pet-friendly hotel is just three blocks from the downtown area of Rapid City. Choose between queen or king beds with a microwave and mini-fridge as standard, or book the Deluxe Suite for your own in-room hot tub. The Rise & Dine continental breakfast is included, and there’s also a handy shop selling grab-and-go snacks on site, plus a daily complimentary wine and beer reception. But before you start your day, enjoy a dip in the gorgeous indoor pool.
Friendly, quiet and comfortable, Foothills Inn is the perfect place to retreat after clocking up miles exploring Badlands National Park or perfecting Rushmore selfies. It’s located on the outskirts of Rapid City, close to Interstate 90. Book a poolside queen room for easy access to the sun deck – pet-friendly rooms are available on request. Ask at reception for help booking historical tours, boat rides or renting Jeeps for an off-road adventure.
Interested? Hear more about why Badlands National Park is a must-see destination, or why South Dakota is Culture Trip’s 2021 feel-good place to visit and stay, with many hotels, lodges and campsites now bookable via Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.