A college town and a state capital, Columbia is a city that doubles down on its coffee consumption.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Ah, coffee, that sacred bean juice that keeps you going from morning through evening. There are as many ways to enjoy a cup of Joe as there are types of places in which to enjoy it. Check out this list of places to stop for a cup of coffee in Columbia, from the artsy places that have unique characteristics to the best on-the-go spots.
Immaculate Consumption is a Columbia coffee institution, being the closest coffee shop to the State House. You’ll find just as many legislators and lobbyists in here as students enjoying cups of Immac’s extra strength brew or one of their many lunch specials. There is a strong hang-out vibe at Immaculate Consumption that keeps both people in power suits and students plugged in to their laptops with earbuds for hours on end, ordering an endless supply of coffee by the cup.
In the up-and-coming Cottontown neighborhood, Indah Coffee is a hip oasis that brings neighbors by foot or bike, and commuters from much farther, to this bright, modern coffee shop. The chill atmosphere here beckons you to order an iced Thai coffee and open up your laptop for hours of soaking in the cooler-than-cool coffee shop vibes and, of course, their in-house roasted beans that fill the air with an intoxicating aroma. Ask the baristas to explain more about the science of coffee roasting and they’ll share all of the knowledge they have on the brown beans that keep humanity buzzing.
Drip Coffee: Five Points
The original Drip speaks to the artsy influence it gets from being in the heart of Five Points. Professors, students, self-employed artisans, writers, and local characters all congregate in the cozy shop to sip on varietals of coffee beans from different corners of the globe. Their pour-over style of creating the perfect cup takes time, so they make it a visual feast, with cones and science-lab-looking beakers on the front counter; this way, thirsty patrons can watch their drinks being made in front of their eyes.
The Curiosity begins with its location, tucked into a craft beer and wine shop on North Main Street. Open daily, they offer hot beverages, specially-made cold brews, and pastries brought in from local bakeries to encourage people to hang out all day. It’s dog-friendly here, and they’ll shower your pet with plenty of attention. You can also catch their mobile operation at events and farmers’ markets around town.
Cool Beans Coffee Company
One of the closest places to obtain coffee near the University of South Carolina’s campus, Cool Beans is another Columbia institution. Caffeinated creations like the Perfect Woman and the Perfect Man have been staples on the menu for decades, fueling students, nearby State House workers, and everyone else in-between with the beverages of their dreams. Their brief menu, which has barely changed over the years, has pastries, sandwiches, wraps, salads, and a craveable pasta salad.
The Local Buzz
Rosewood’s neighborhood coffee hangout seems like it’s been here forever, but the shop only came into existence in 2015. Come here regularly and everyone will learn your name, and even your usual—if you can resist ordering something new from their expansive and seasonally-rotating latte menu. They also serve breakfast and lunch, and are known for their commitment to vegan and gluten-free options.
This longtime West Columbia cafe is known for their hangover hash browns, once featured in Southern Living, and for their fantastic self-serve coffee bar and other java-centric libations. An inventive menu brings people in from breakfast through dinner, but weekend brunches are what really make people line up outside the door at this neighborhood favorite.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.