A part of the Providence County, Cranston, Rhode Island, regularly ranks among the top 100 best cities to live in the U.S. Not only is it known for its low crime rate, but also for its culture, particularly that of its local restaurants. The city offers a sense of diversity, which comes with advanced knowledge of ethnic cuisine. We take a look at 10 of the very best restaurants in Cranston.
With an expansive dining space and reserved rooms for private events, Marchetti’s is the perfect Italian–American restaurant in Knightsville, whether for a casual meal or a private event. The chefs use only meats with the best cuts and fresh seafood, producing the very highest quality dishes. First established by David and Donald Marchetti, the restaurant has been operating for over 30 years and its popularity continues to grow, especially after being featured on ABC Channel’s show ‘The Bachelor.’ Marcehtti’s has been a local favorite since 1983 and it continues its legacy as the best Italian-American restaurant in the neighborhood.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
A hidden gem, Mike’s Kitchen is home to some of the best handmade Italian food in Cranston. Its cuisine has been nicknamed ‘Italian Peasant Food,’ indicating a casual, family style dining experience. Though its simplicity appears to be paramount, each dish spreads a nostalgic feel of home for those from Italy or of Italian heritage – and a taste of standard Italian cuisine for newcomers who have never visited Italy. Just as the food is simple, so is the interior of the restaurant. With a room full of only tables, chairs and tablecloths, the interior decor exudes an open and friendly atmosphere where guests can relax and enjoy the food.
Basta Italian Restaurant
A stylish restaurant, Basta Italian Restaurant offers some of the most authentic Italian dishes in the state, using locally grown, fresh ingredients. It presents a vast range of dishes and wines, combining some into unusual and elegant three course meals for breakfast, lunch or dinner. For years, it has provided accommodating, sophisticated service, creating one of the best, unforgettable dining experiences one could have in Rhode Island. Additionally, to improve dining experiences even further, the restaurant underwent renovations to upgrade its interior and exterior, as well as equipment and menu.
Once a chapel of spiritual healing for those undergoing rehabilitation, Chapel Grille is now one of the most famous and popular among Rhode Island’s restaurants. Located at the top of a summit, the restaurant overlooks the picturesque views of the landscape, providing an outdoor terrace where guests can watch the sunset and see the lights on the city’s bridges slowly light up at dusk. Not only does the Chapel Grille present a fantastic view of the outdoors, but also offers a vast range of Mediterranean and Italian cuisine made from local and fresh ingredients that are carefully and elegantly prepared by the chefs.
Offering a fusion of Japanese and Korean food, Ichiban Cuisine is a family run restaurant specializing in sushi as well as other traditional dishes from Japan and South Korea. As representatives of their native countries, the restaurant owners ensure that their creations reflect the creativity of their respective cultures as much as possible, using the best quality and freshest of ingredients. They offer over 60 types of specially designed sushi rolls, including, but not limited to, cooked rolls, vegetarian rolls, fresh fish maki rolls, caviar sushi, and fresh fish nigiri. Not only does Ichiban share its Asian cuisines through business but also it offers classes for the community, ensuring that everyone can learn the art of Japanese cooking.
A favorite local diner, JP Spoonem’s is one of the best breakfast spots in Cranston, attracting customers from all over the state of Rhode Island. The environment within the restaurant derives from lively and chattering guests, laughing and enjoying great company with friends. Not only do the friendly and welcoming staff members contribute to the animated atmosphere, but so does the food. The menu offers a list of standard breakfast options with a twist of unusual flavors, the most popular choices being the restaurant’s famous Jonnycakes and French toast.
Macera’s Italian Restaurant
Macera’s Italian Restaurant serves authentic Italian cuisine using local, fresh ingredients to provide guests with a mix of modern and traditional dishes. The chef, David Macera, has honed his culinary skills through not only his years of studying at the Rhode Island School of Design, but by working at many restaurants in Florida, Massachusetts and Rhode Island. Today, he uses his unique culinary techniques to create some of the most innovative dishes in the area. In addition to Chef Macera’s spectacular culinary talents, the restaurant consists of dedicated staff members, including Chef Macera’s children, who welcome guests with warm greetings and provide attentive service. It is no wonder the establishment has been one of the most popular restaurants in Cranston for 15 years.
A classy and elegant establishment, Spain Restaurant is one of Rhode Island’s best and most cultural venues. The chefs prepare authentic Spanish cuisine as waiters and waitresses welcome guests into a room full of artwork and murals, evoking the essence of Spain. Additionally, the sound of water trickling in water features down the wall emits a relaxing and calm ambiance which echoes throughout the dining room. Visitors can enjoy the display of creative pieces of art decorating the walls and wait with baited breath for the delicious food to arrive at the table.
Twin Oaks Restaurant
Named after the majestic oak trees outside, Twin Oaks Restaurant has been an ancient Rhode Island tradition for over six decades. At first, the space was a small diner with only two private rooms for 16 guests and a general dining space for up to 40 customers. Gradually, its popularity increased year after year, as more customers visited and returned for homemade cooking prepared by the founder, William DeAngelus Sr., and his wife, Eva DeAngelus. Many loyal customers even followed Twin Oaks to its new location after a fire completely burnt down the previous establishment. To this day, the restaurant continues to serve the community with its excellent service and food, now with more dining rooms and employees.
Wein-O-Rama is a unique diner specializing in hot dogs, also known as bellybusters or hot wieners. The founder, Michael Sotirakos, was an immigrant from Sparta, Greece, who originally moved to Rhode Island to pursue a career as an aircraft mechanic. Due to a lack of opportunities, Sotirakos resorted to working as a cook at the Coney Island restaurant in Providence, where he learned to speak English and cook excellent hot dogs. Later, he decided to open his own diner. With its large retro sign and menu full of cheap and fast options, Wein-O-Rama continues to serve dishes the way it has since it was established – hot dogs made amply with fresh ground beef, herbs, spices, chopped onion and celery salt on a steamed bun.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.