Make your way to this creative-minded stay to explore Newport‘s coffee bars, craft breweries and chilled-out coastal spots.
From its grand Gilded Age mansions to its yacht-studded harbor, Newport is a preppy kind of place. Whatever is drawing you here – the scenery, the fresh air, the sparkling coast – the cool but comfy interiors of the Wayfinder are sure to suit. Part retro-inspired, part contemporary cool, this hotel has the sense of place and style that you’re looking for in your Rhode Island vacation. What’s more, it’s primely placed for exploring the joys of Newport. Here’s how to get your stay right.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The outdoor pool is a center of socializing at the Wayfinder; from the rainbow umbrellas to the colorful inflatables, it’s clear from the get-go that this stay is all about fun. Yet despite the freshness in tone, there’s a sophisticated style here, too; think sage-green kitchenettes that let you self-cater or burnt-orange banquettes for chic dining in the restaurant. Start your day with a strong coffee from the aptly named Cafe, brewed with coffee from the Nitro Bar, a company based in Rhode Island.
When it’s time to stretch your legs, head to Miantonomi Memorial Park. Right next to the hotel, it’s the perfect spot to walk around before a big hotel breakfast or to unwind ahead of dinner. Wander the lawns, between soaring trees, past the towering World War I memorial – one part of the park’s rich history. This green patch also played a role in the American Revolutionary War and was used by Native Americans for hundreds of years, too.
Rhode Island is a haven for beer and wine lovers – there are plenty of homegrown brands for sipping – and if you want to sample the finest on a tasting tour, then this spot, a 15-20 minute walk from the Wayfinder, is a no-brainer. Sip a refreshing Hawaiian Shirt sour, bursting with passion fruit and guava, or down a hoppy Rhode Rage, a double IPA with sweet notes of stone fruits. Best of all, sample new test brews right out of the tanks before they make it to the masses.
Less than a 10-minute drive from the hotel, this museum pushes the envelope with its unusual themed exhibits; for example, Hair Stories showcased pieces by artists who (rather uniquely) use hair as a medium. But this cultural center is about more than just quirky exhibits. Student art classes are part of the agenda, and permanent outdoor sculptures are waiting to be discovered – just the thing for sunny summer days.
When you’re after feel-good food, the family-friendly Newport Creamery, a 15-minute walk from the Wayfinder, is ready to deliver. The menu is packed with comforting classics, from loaded curly fries and cobb salad to buffalo chicken. But really, you’re here for the “drinkable treats,” such as the root beer float or the Outrageous Awful Awful, a blend of ice creams with cookies, strawberry, banana chip and chocolate mint chip. The company’s history stretches back almost 80 years, so you know it’s going to be tasty.
You might technically be able to buy its brews in the hotel, but there’s no beating a visit to the original Nitro when it’s time for a proper cup of joe. Specialists in nitro cold-brew coffee, it serves iced lattes alongside moreish cookies and hearty sandwiches in its bright, contemporary cafe. Pull up a seat at the cream-hued bar, and you can chat with the barista as your drink is prepared, quizzing them on the coffee’s origin as you wait.
It’s not a holiday to Rhode Island if you haven’t been to the beach. Only a 10-minute drive south of the hotel, Easton’s is a prime place for a chill-out day; it’s the perfect family-friendly pick for sand-castle building, splashing in the surf and working on your tan. Visit the seaside snack bar for buttery lobster rolls or, for true indulgence, have them delivered straight to your beach blanket.
Whatever homeware treasures you’re seeking, this stylish shop, a five-minute drive south of the hotel, is sure to have it. It stocks one-of-a-kind vintage pieces as well as contemporary buys. Unless you have a budget for shipping (or a very large suitcase), most of the stock will be window-shoppable only – for example, a historic Maire Antoinette-style sofa, stone angel statues or antique birdbaths for the garden. But that doesn’t diminish the joy of browsing.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.