Kennywood in Pennsylvania transports you back to a childhood long forgotten. Feel the spirit of a true traditional American theme park when you stay near Kennywood at one of these hotels, bookable now with Culture Trip.
More classical than contemporary, Kenny the Kangaroo’s park will fill you with nostalgia faster than a funnel cake from the art deco Lucky will fill your stomach. The double-dip drop on the wooden Jack Rabbit roller coaster, the slide-in-your-seat fun of the Whip and the up-and-down of Kenny’s Karousel will make you long for the days of your mum holding your hand on every exciting ride.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The Gilded Age glamour of the Mansions on Fifth fits seamlessly on Millionaire’s Row – and it’s yours for the taking. Immerse yourself in its opulence and settle for only the Presidential Suite: a 1,000sqft (93sqm) suite with a jetted tub and two living spaces, each with a wet bar. Leave your ritzy retreat only to visit the Oak Room for a whiskey tasting, intimate local concert or another exceptionally curated weekly event.
Summertime in Pittsburgh is as cool as it gets at Hilton Garden Inn. School may be in at the surrounding universities, but you’ll be too busy hopping between Kennywood and Sandcastle Water Park. When you’re not soaking wet from the Pittsburgh Plunge or Lightning Express, you can chill in the shade of Schenley Park and Phipps Conservatory across the street. Leave wet footprints on your way back to your suite, and, maybe, swap out that swimsuit for proper attire before heading down to the hotel’s restaurant.
Don’t let the name mislead you: the Inn on the Mexican War Streets is one of the best places to stay with your kids. This mansion, once a baron’s home, is your basecamp for family fun. Your hosts will treat your kiddos to chocolate chip cookies and snacks after lunch and before bedtime. In the moments between, walk across the street to see the beautiful birds of the National Aviary, or get hands-on with the exhibits at the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh.
Where better to find a quiet retreat in the Burgh than at a former monastery? The Priory, hanging up in the North Side, boasts rooms with skyline views that you can savor in silence. The courtyard is serene, though the sounds of East Allegheny will buzz around you. A livelier crowd can be found at the Monk’s Bar, and, if you desire a rowdier crowd, the Pirate’s fans at PNC Park down the street will break the silence in the best of ways.
The best of Pittsburgh should be experienced through the best of accommodations at Omni William Penn Hotel. Luxury suites with square footage larger than some homes are ornately designed with cherry wood furnishings and elegant moldings. A tin roof and rich scarlet furniture house the Speakeasy, where scotch and sophistication are always served. Whether you’re seeing a performance at Heinz Hall, catching a Steelers game from a private box or eating your way through the Strip District like a local, the Omni puts it all at your fingertips.
Stained glass, limestone and other original features of the former Salvation Army Building blend with contemporary design to create Distrikt Hotel. King suites with subway-tiled walk-in glass showers sit beneath a rooftop terrace basking in the skyscrapers of Steel City. The hotel’s complimentary bicycle rental offers one of the best ways to visit Point State Park, though we’d leave the wheels at the hotel if you’re headed across the Monongahela for drinks at Station Square.
Oakland is a convergence of culture, academia and creativity, so it’s no surprise that the Oaklander fits in with this cutting-edge neighborhood. All rooms feature walk-in showers with rainfall showerheads. Classical and contemporary converge on the French plates at Spirits & Tales, where sweeping panoramic views are always on the menu. The city-view rooms are spectacular, too, though there’s no substitute for seeing Oakland from the street. Stroll Forbes Avenue, and marvel at the wonders inside and out of the Carnegie Museums, Music Hall and University.
The deep gray walls and dark blue decor of the rooms at the Industrialist really give off Steel City vibes. You’ll spot the Monongahela River and Market Square from your window, but the industrial spirit of the city, however, can be found down on the second floor. The Mark is an engaging experience, where you can drink, tinker with tools and take home your own Three Rivers creation. Post-project praise can be found between the bread of a Primanti Bros sandwich across the block.
Do you need an excuse for a group golf outing? Let the big kids have their adult-free fun at Kennywood, while you and the gang play eighteen at the Lenape Heights Golf Resort. The Superior Room is ready for your foursome, welcoming you and your boogie buddies with views of the course from your balcony. With the kids losing their lunch on the rickety Racer, you and your chums are free to spend all afternoon with burgers and beer at the Lenape Bar & Grill.
The Historic Summit Inn, only open April through November, is ideal for a fall visit. Play its 1920s nine-hole golf course; then, take to the hiking trails, and appreciate the fiery leaves without worrying about slow play. The heated indoor pool is a perfect place to relax and watch the leaves blow in the chilly autumn wind. Your room is just as cozy – though, if you’ve got a warm jumper, we advise snagging a few hours in the Black Bear Bungalow treehouse.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.