Rest up for a full day of sightseeing and history with a stay in one of these hand-picked Pittsburgh-area hotels, bookable with Culture Trip.
The Historic Fairview Park made history in the 1800s as the first African American amusement park. Once hosting its own roller coaster, merry-go-round and petting zoo, this protected park in Salem Township continues to be a family-friendly space only minutes away from downtown Pittsburgh. A great attraction that caters to both a city break in the Burgh and a quiet nature getaway, the best hotels near Fairview Park will keep you close to this welcoming green space.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Stay five minutes from Fairview Park at Holiday Inn Express. Zip right over to the park after snagging a grab ‘n’ go breakfast in the lobby. The fitness center has everything you need to fit in a quick cardio workout, but if you’ve got the time, do a few laps around the ice in the Palmer Imaging Arena instead. While you’re around the corner, get your fill of barbecue Steel City-style at Pittsburgh BBQ Company.
Taking the family to the Burgh for a summer vacation? Stay at Courtyard by Marriott for straightforward access to Idlewild amusement park. Ask for a wake-up call so you and the kids can grab breakfast at the Bistro then make it over for a trolley ride through Daniel Tiger’s Neighborhood at the nearby Idlewild & SoakZone amusement park. Alternatively, they can cannonball all night long at the hotel’s indoor pool.
You’re never too far from Kenny the Kangaroo when you stay at Hampton Inn & Suites. This hotel is only 14 minutes from Kennywood amusement park, letting you catch a few extra winks before the kids drag you out of bed. No one can blame them for wanting to get over to Thomas Town before the other conductors arrive. If you don’t get a chance to dry off from the Pittsburg Plunge with a ride on the Phantom’s Revenge, feel free to warm up by the fire pits at the hotel.
Even before you roll over to Live! Casino Pittsburgh, you’ll already consider yourself lucky as a guest at the Hampton Inn. You won’t spend a penny on breakfast, parking, wifi or to use the gym. Sure, you could store those savings under your king bed for a rainy day or you could let the dice roll at the casino. Live! is located in the Westmoreland Mall so keep an eye out for Lady Luck on the clearance rack, too.
Pack your reel, rod and best bait for your stay at Red Roof Inn. This Greensburg hotel is right around the corner from the fishing holes at Twin Lakes Park, another lovely space to play after visiting Fairview Park. Free coffee is brewing in the lobby if you need a precast pick-me-up. Want something else to smile about? There’s an Eat’n Park next door that has a warm Smiley Cookie iced in your favorite color.
Hampton Inn puts the best of Steel City within reach while keeping you outside of the hustle and bustle of the Burgh’s downtown. Wake up, take your time munching your way through the breakfast buffet, then get into the Strip District in minutes. Looking for penguins on or off the ice? The zoo and PPG Paints Arena are minutes away. There’s a steakhouse connected to the hotel for convenience, but we insist that you drive the five minutes to Primanti Bros for a famous stuffed sandwich.
Is it any surprise that a hotel so close to Arnold Palmer’s hometown would have not one but two championship golf courses next door? Hampton Inn & Suites in Blairsville wants you to play your way through the links without worrying about traffic. Walk right over to the course after loosening up your swing at the fitness center. Not sure if you’re loose enough to lower your handicap? Maybe a massage in the spa will do the trick.
Holiday Inn Express & Suites is close to Seton Hill University, yet far enough away that your student won’t get too embarrassed running into you everywhere. A free breakfast is warm and waiting in the morning, but maybe save your coffee order for one of the cool and quirky cafes in downtown Greensburg like the Sun Dawg, Caffeinated Cat or the White Rabbit. One surefire place you definitely won’t run into your coed? In the warm waters of the hotel’s heated indoor pool.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.