Philadelphia, the largest city in Pennsylvania, boasts an array of exciting and diverse immigrant populations, including numerous West African and Southeast Asian communities who come together to form the city’s vibrant cultural and culinary quiltwork. From quaint Cambodian kitchens to restaurants serving Israeli delicacies, read ahead for our guide to the best ethnic cuisine in Philadelphia.
Khmer Kitchen is an extremely popular Cambodian restaurant, and is a favorite of South Philadelphia. Dishes are made to order and carefully prepared using handmade ingredients; one of the best being the prah-hok kahteeh, or ‘grandma’s dish’, a choice comprised of fermented monk fish which is curried with coconut and served with a crudite of vegetables. A top choice for an appetizer to share is the fried shrimp with lemongrass and coconut curry dip, as well as the grilled meatballs. Flavors are exotic, but are gentle enough to entice even diners who are not inclined towards spicy food.
Address and Telephone: Khmer Kitchen,1700 S 6th St Philadelphia, PA 19148 215-755-2222
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hardena, an Indonesian gem located in Point Breeze, is a restaurant which stands out for its authenticity and perfectly cooked cuisine. A small selection of menu items are charmingly written on a chalkboard here, and all the main dishes are bursting with flavor and served over generous helpings of white rice. Meat, vegetarian and vegan options abound, and top dish choices include the beef redang and lamb soup, as well as the vegan-friendly seitan and sweet dish of tempeh. This joint is warm, welcoming and kind to the wallet, and with a closing time of 8pm, it’s the perfect spot to visit for an early and delicious dinner.
Address and Telephone: Hardena, 1754 S Hicks St Philadelphia, PA 19145 215-271-9442
One of the most beloved West African restaurants in the city, Kilimandjaro features classic and scrumptious Senegalese cuisine. The yassa fish is a traditional tilapia staple, sautéed with caremlized onions and pan fried, and should not be missed. The dibi lamb is also a top choice, comprised of pieces of grilled lamb served with a tangy onion salsa on top. Enjoying rave reviews from customers and boasting lines filing out the door most days, the fresh food and quality service here quite rightly make Kilimandjaro a West Philadelphia favorite, with its eye-catching African artwork and warm ambience adding to its overall splendor.
Address and Telephone: Kilimandjaro Restaurant, 4317 Chestnut St Philadelphia, PA 19104 215-387-1970
The casually upscale Zahav, a restaurant idyllically situated in the Old City, deliciously reflects the unique character and flavors of Israel. This critically-acclaimed favorite boasts a flavorful menu of small plates which allows guests to sample a large variety of diverse cuisines in one sitting, including delicacies from Eastern Europe, North Africa and Persia. Adventurous diners are well catered for here and can try roasted duck hearts with red plums; and the grilled halloumi served with peaches and other vegetables is melt-in-the-mouth and incredibly moreish.
Address and Telephone: Zahav, 237 St James Pl Philadelphia, PA 19106 215-625-8800
The upscale Indian restaurant of IndeBlue serves a wide array of both modern and traditional Indian dishes, and is a top spot to sample sumptuous spicy cuisine in the heart of Philadelphia. The menu consists of small chaat plates as well as classic moilee, masala and lamb biryani choices. The chef’s tasting menu is a tasty culinary option comprised of four courses, including an entree, a chaat choice (savory snack) and a shuruvat (appetizer). The restaurant hosts a popular happy hour from 5pm until 7pm on weekdays, with a range of colorful cocktails and beers available at discounted prices.
Address and Telephone: IndeBlue, 205 S 13th St Philadelphia, PA 10107 215-545-4633
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.