Italians have done a lot of things right, including cars, fashion, and art and certainly, the people of Pittsburgh can agree that the finest Italian accomplishment is food, particularly pizza. People all over the world love pizza, and these Pennsylvania folk are no different. Read our list to discover the best pizza parlors in Pittsburgh.
A trip to Il Pizzaiolo is much cheaper than a trip to Naples, Italy, and you’ll still enjoy it just as much! Enjoy a delicious slice of pizza at this authentic restaurant. Baked at 1000º in a handcrafted, wood-fired brick oven, there are nearly 20 variations of delicious pizza on the menu, including Marinara, Margherita, and Stracciatella. All the pizzas are made with the freshest ingredients, artisanal cheeses, and locally sourced delicious meats. Il Pizzaiolo’s menu also features house made pasta, which is served in a plethora of mouthwatering sauces. Split a bottle of wine and share a pizza with friends and family at Il Pizziaolo.
Il Pizzaiolo, 703 Washington Rd. Mt. Lebanon, PA, USA, +1 412 344 4123
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Spak Brothers Pizza and More
This small pizza restaurant offers big flavor and is a true Pittsburgh gem. Spak Bros Pizza serves delicious pizza from the slice up to an XL pie, and patrons can choose their own toppings, from over 20 choices. Although pizza is their specialty, they are also known for their delicious hoagies. The buffalo chicken, meatball, and Philly steak hoagies are a few of the most popular ones. There are also wings, salads, and vegan options available. The dining space is small, but cute, with bar and table seating and a few old-school pinball machines. If you prefer more space when you dine, eat at home! Limited delivery options are now available.
Spak Brothers Pizza and More, 5107 Penn Ave. Pittsburgh, PA, USA, +1 412 362 7725
Get all of your Italian favorites at Fiori’s. Their delicious cuisine features calzones, hoagie, pastas, pizza, and meatballs, and there are also wings, salads, and sauces made to order available. The restaurant has a small-town vibe; the cooks and staff are passionate about what they do, and it shows. You’ll feel as though you’re just at a friend’s house for dinner. The prices are extremely affordable, and you definitely get more for your money. Check out their new, second location and take-out options. Finally, Fiori’s is open late, so it’s the perfect place to go after a night out when you’re craving a hot slice or fat calzone.
Fiori’s Pizzaria, 103 Capital Ave. Pittsburgh, PA, USA, +1 412 343 7788
Everyone knows that opposites attract, so it stands to reason that something hot should be paired with something cold. How about hot handcrafted pizza followed by cold artisanal gelato? Yum! Mercurio’s is a family-owned restaurant that serves delicious Neapolitan pizza and homemade gelato. The menu features a ton of tasty pizzas, pastas, and antipasti starters. There are also salads, available as a side or entree, and paninis. There are also nearly 30 flavors of gelato available, including tiramisu, chocolate marshmallow, and the very tempting ‘death by chocolate.’ If you just can’t get enough, both the pizza and gelato are available for catering. Choose Mercurio’s for your special occasion, and you’re guaranteed to be the hit of the party.
Mercurio’s, 5523 Walnut St. Pittsburgh, PA, USA, +1 412 621 6220
Sienna Mercato there are three different dining areas situated in their one location. Each space provides a different atmosphere and vibe, in addition to an individual menu. The first space, Emporio, is a meatball joint located on the first floor featuring gourmet meatballs served with salads, soups, and a choice of pasta. On the second floor is Mezzo, an upscale Italian pizzeria. Pizzas range in toppings, from octopus, bacon, and clams, to pistachios, eggs, and squid. Mezzo also serves incredible wines, creative pastas, and delectable desserts. Finally, Il Tetto is the rooftop beer garden. Come here for happy hour to enjoy draft beers, select wines, and handcrafted cocktails, all while enjoying a breathtaking view of the city of Pittsburgh. Because every space and menu varies from the other, Sienna Mercato is great if you like to mix it up while staying in your comfort zone.
Sienna Mercato, 942 Penn Ave. Pittsburgh, PA, USA, +1 412 281 2810
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.