Manayunk is a quaint neighborhood in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Historically an old mill town, Manayunk has recently been rebuilt. Head up the Main Street to find both new and old boutiques, galleries, and plenty of great restaurants. Here’s our guide to 10 of Manayunk’s best venues.
The Couch Tomato
The Couch Tomato Cafe and Bistro are two connected restaurants. The cafe has small, quick dishes while the bistro is a more formal-casual dining experience. The chefs at the cafe and bistro strive to use organic and local produce, hormone and antibiotic-free meats, and seasonal ingredients to create the freshest meals for their customers. The menu features many delicious and guilt-free dishes for lunch and dinner, including fresh salads, pizzas, and burgers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Owner Frank Marchiano uses his mother’s genuine Italian recipes in his beloved, family-run bakery. The Italian breads, which are stuffed with meats, vegetables, and cheese, are a popular bakery item, but the favorite among customers is the tomato pie. Sheets of thick dough are hand-rolled and covered in crushed tomatoes, olive oil and spices and then sprinkled with Parmesan cheese to create this savory treat. The atmosphere inside is familial and warm, and the service is just as friendly.
Dawson Street Pub
Dawson Street Pub is a quaint local pub and the daily happy hour makes this a great place to eat on a budget. The pub specializes in a selection of craft beers and small-batch brews, and its food is hearty and full of flavor. Visit Dawson Street Pub at the weekend to see a live music performance.
The Goat’s Beard
This new bar and restaurant in Manayunk has a clear focus on sustainable cooking practices. Make your drink selection from the long list of craft beers and domestic whiskey and bourbon. The Goat’s Beard serves brunch, lunch, and dinner. At brunch, the breakfast burger, served with pepper jack cheese, bacon, caramelized onions, hash browns, and an egg, is a great way to start the day. Whether you’re looking for a whole meal or a few shared snacks to enjoy with a cold beer, The Goat’s Beard is an excellent choice.
Smiley’s Cafe serves made-from-scratch Mediterranean cuisine crafted from the freshest seasonal ingredients. Perfect for a light lunch, the cafe offers sandwiches, crisp salads, meat entrées, and vegan platters. Enjoy a fruit smoothie or fresh-squeezed lemonade with your meal, and don’t forget a slice of baklava for dessert. The outdoor seating and lounge are perfect for a leisurely lunch with friends. The staff are friendly and helpful, and they carefully make every dish to order.
Winnie’s Le Bus Manayunk
Winnie’s fresh-made, preservative-free meals are made using as much locally grown produce as possible. Chef John O’Brien has crafted a fun and creative menu for lunch, dinner, and weekend brunch. For those feeling indulgent, try the lobster mac and cheese, a creamy, flavorful favorite, and order an eclectic local microbrew from the circular dining room bar.
Lucky’s Last Chance
Lucky’s gourmet burgers have been voted some of the best in Philly, but the menu doesn’t stop there. Carefully crafted hot dogs are made from the best frankfurters in between butter-toasted New England-style hot dog rolls. Try the Buffalo Bill dog topped with shredded chicken dipped in buffalo sauce with blue cheese crumbles. The best-selling burger is the Mak Attack. The burger is topped with cheese, a huge scoop of Lucky’s specialty Mak & Cheese, and finally more cheese.
Zesty’s founder was born in Lefkas, an island between Greece and Italy, and he combines the best of both countries to create his Greco-Roman Mediterranean cuisine. Try the baby octopus for an appetizer—apple wood fire-grilled with olive oil, fennel, lemon, and oregano. For an entrée, the moussaka is a popular dish made of sautéed eggplant, zucchini, cheese, and optional ground beef baked in a béchamel sauce.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.